VMware Horizon Community
Chewza
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Machine and User Volumes Inconsistent

Hey all, we're running into some pretty inconsistent behavior with App Volumes at the moment and I just wanted to run a few scenarios by you guys.

We're running into an odd issue where we assign a stack to a set of linked clones are already provisioned and available for user login on the View side however it doesn't appear to attach the app stack when the user logs in.  We have to reset the virtual machines for them to attach the VMDK's that are assigned via Machine names.

Also is there an issue when trying to use both Machine & User based assignments at the same time? I can't be certain but after assigning a stack to a user that is logging into a machine that has a stack already mounted it's like the user stack never attaches.  Should we choose one attachment method and stick with it?

We're storing the Stacks on a Netapp filer over NFS, and the Linked Clone virtual machines off of an XtremeIO array over iSCSI.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, or any insight where we can go to look a little further under the covers and see what's going on.  Not sure what log files we should be examining in order to troubleshoot.

Thanks all

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jahos_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Machine and user assignments cannot be used at the same time (in the current version). When you assign appstacks to computers, the user appstacks will be skipped. you can see this in the appvolumes management console under Activity/System Messages.

When using NFS, it is best to stick with user assignments. Currently there is an issue when recomposing desktops with computer appstacks on NFS storage. You will see "failed to lock" errors.

I have a support call open at VMware for this.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jahos_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Machine and user assignments cannot be used at the same time (in the current version). When you assign appstacks to computers, the user appstacks will be skipped. you can see this in the appvolumes management console under Activity/System Messages.

When using NFS, it is best to stick with user assignments. Currently there is an issue when recomposing desktops with computer appstacks on NFS storage. You will see "failed to lock" errors.

I have a support call open at VMware for this.

0 Kudos
Chewza
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Awesome insight!  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

0 Kudos