VMware Horizon Community
deep84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

MS Visio Pro 2013 AppStack

Hello,

I have been trying to create an appstack for Visio Pro 2013 for the last couple of days.

The following has been attempted:

1. Creating a provisioning machine with the Parent Image;

2. Removing all agents from the Parent Image;

3. Setting the KMS server during provisioning by running cscript ospp.vbs /sethst and cscript ospp.vbs /act.

4. I have also attempted to launch Visio during provisioning;

I still need to go through the Wizard after logging off and on a instant clone desktop.

Please let me know if I'm missing something.

Thanks

22 Replies
deep84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have been reading through other posts regarding the same issue. Noticed that there are a couple of exclusions that need to be added into snapvol.cfg. Could this be done during updating the Visio appstack or is it best to create a new Visio appstack, modify snapvol.cfg to include exclusions and than install Visio?

Are these the only exclusions that need to be added to the file?

#Microsoft Office

exclude_path=\Program Files\microsoft office\office15

exclude_path=\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\officesoftwareprotectionplatform

Or are there others ?

If anyone else has any tips or tricks please let me know it would be appreciated. I’m sure creating a Visio and Project appstacks is a very common request.

0 Kudos
techguy129
Expert
Expert

Have you considered create an Thinapp and deploying it via an Appstack?

https://blogs.vmware.com/euc/2015/01/vmware-app-volumes-thinapp-vdi-view-integration-horizon.html

0 Kudos
deep84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nope never had the chance to play with Thinapp., I will look into it!

Thanks

0 Kudos
deep84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The problem seems more like a delay between the kms and the activation of Visio because if I wait 2-3 minute after logging into the desktop to launch Visio I dont run through the configuration process. Its driving me nuts Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Wimp777
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is Microsoft Office installed on the packaging machine prior to starting the provisioning? I installed office on my packaging machine before starting the provisioning process, and then created the appstack and installed Visio. Deployed with no issues.

0 Kudos
deep84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I took the parent image that had Office installed into the base and removed the VMware Tools, Horizon agent and used it as the provisioning machine. Are you suggesting that I try taking a image with no Office, installing it and putting it into provisioning and installing Visio?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Wimp777
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did the following. This Visio was a one-off for a specific user, however, a KMS or MAK key mass deployment should work.

1. Install Microsoft Office on my packaging machine.
  2. Provision the Visio appstack in my manager and use that provisioning machine.
  3. Install Visio and assign your license
  4. Finish provisioning the appstack and assign.
  5. Once completed revert my provisioning machine back to its snapshot.
0 Kudos
deep84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, that’s exactly what I have been doing. Installing Office in the packaging machine and than installing Visio while in provisioning mode. After installing running commands cscript ospp.vbs /sethst:mykmsserver and ospp.vbs /act both with successful and than closing the provisioning. Still runs through the configuration process on first launch and than actiavtes but this needs to be done every login to a instant clone desktop. Trying to see if I could add something on the parent to prevent this.

Thanks

0 Kudos
techguy129
Expert
Expert

You can try adding the activation command into one of the scripts in the visio appstack so that runs every time its mounted (startshell.bat). For your command be sure to add the full paths to cscript and ospp.vbs

Advanced App Volumes Agent Configuration

0 Kudos
deep84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just tested that out it seems to run the commands before the appstack fully attaches because it just activates the Office on the base. Seems like I need to set a delay before the commands run.

0 Kudos
deep84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think the issue I’m having is due to having office installed for muiltple languages (English and French). Noticed in event viewer that it attempts to reconfigure  Office. Anyone have suggestions on tackling this issue?

Thanks

0 Kudos
deep84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm noticing after logging into the desktop that the tokens.dat is not the same as the one from the provisioning machine. It seems like during provisioning its not being captured or its not getting applied during login. Would I be able to update the snapvol.cfg during provisioning to include a specific file from being captured\virtualized?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

Hi Deep,

Let's discuss here Smiley Happy

any response from support?

any update on while using visio std app stack with office std on parent image?

Regards,

Vkmr.

deep84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Just got back to work, I had opened up a ticket and I need to get into contact with the assigned technician.

I have not had the chance to test out putting visio std in a appstack and have std office on the base. Need to confirm if my department even had the std version available. I will keep you posted!

Thanks again,

Hardeep

deep84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Update I was told to exclude the following:

exclude_path=\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\PackageManifests

exclude_path=\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root

exclude_path=\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\AppXManifest.xml

exclude_path=\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Updates

exclude_path=\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun

exclude_registry=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\REGISTRY

This didn't resolve the issue.

Wimp777
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

deep84

Following the steps, I posted before. I just created Visio Pro for the 64bit desktops in my environment without making any modifications to the snapvol.cfg. Are the office and visio are the same versions? I run Office in the base image and not from an appstack.

I have Office Pro Plus 2013 with Visio Pro 2013 running on both 32/64bit Windows 7 desktops.

1. Install Office on the provisioning machine.
  2. Create the Visio appstack and provision
  3. Install Visio and license it
  4. Finalize and assign the appstack.
0 Kudos
deep84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, this has been attempted.

Are you licensing it using cscript ospp.vbs /act?

Let me know thanks.

0 Kudos
VMvvol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Wimp,

I have one question on using "Visio prof and project standard" in one app stack, is it good combination to have it?

Thank you,

Volga.

0 Kudos
Wimp777
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My kms server is handling the base Windows and Office activations. The visio applications are running a MAK key from our my volume licensing agreement.

0 Kudos