VMware Horizon Community
JaceJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Issues with AppVolumes install

Installing AppVolumes Version 2.5.2.1187 I get an error after the installation is completed.  When I launch the shortcut to access the manager I get  "Unable to start App Volumes Manager  cannot load such file -- tiny_tds"  Uninstalling this version and reinstalling 2.5.0 it works fine once again.

Any ideas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JaceJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So off a few tips from John Kramer at VMware we have resolved the 2.5.2 install problem.  We were able to get 2.5.2 running with a SQL express installed on my server which led us to question what was wrong with the sql2012 server.  To further test I removed App Volumes leaving the sqlexpress installed and reinstalled pointing to 2012.  During this I verified something I had noticed before that the system DSNs for svmanager were not being created during the install process.  Eventually John suggested we blow up the database and start from scratch.

1. Blew up the original DB we had created on our SQL2012 server
  2. Updated the SQL account too to have DB creator rights
  3. Uninstalled AppVolumes
  4. Cleared all ghost data from the previous install in program files and confirmed registry and program data was clean
  5. Rebooted the system
  6. Reinstalled 2.5.2 as the service account
  7. Used the SQL account to create a new DB on my sql2012 server.
  8. Confirmed the system DSNs were created and populated.
  9. Rebooted and verified everything was working

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
JHT_Seattle
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Not exactly sure, but I'd uninstall, clear the registry entries that may have been left behind, and also check for leftover files in the directory.  Check in ProgramData, too.

0 Kudos
JaceJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had deleted the Program files folder as a test.  That did not fix the issue.  I removed app volumes and checked for registry entries and ProgramData and found neither. 

Still a problem.  At this point I'm just going to have to revert to the old version so I can continue to test this for our VDI project

0 Kudos
JHT_Seattle
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Any pending OS updates or a reboot needed between uninstalling/reinstalling?  The file that's not being loaded is related to Ruby, I think, so I'm hard pressed to think of a reason why it wouldn't load in 2.5.2 but does in 2.5.0 unless there was a file lock somehow.

JaceJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Maybe a DB issue?

No pending locks as I reboot between uninstall and reinstall for just such purposes.

Its gotten worse as now 2.5.0 won't work either.  I'm reverting to a snapshot to start fresh and see if I can't trace this out

0 Kudos
JaceJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not the DB as a revert to snap has me up and running again, though I have a clean DB as the 2.5.0 install killed it

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Is this from in an upgrade of 2.5.0 or earlier?

0 Kudos
JaceJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This was an upgrade from 2.5.0

0 Kudos
JaceJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So off a few tips from John Kramer at VMware we have resolved the 2.5.2 install problem.  We were able to get 2.5.2 running with a SQL express installed on my server which led us to question what was wrong with the sql2012 server.  To further test I removed App Volumes leaving the sqlexpress installed and reinstalled pointing to 2012.  During this I verified something I had noticed before that the system DSNs for svmanager were not being created during the install process.  Eventually John suggested we blow up the database and start from scratch.

1. Blew up the original DB we had created on our SQL2012 server
  2. Updated the SQL account too to have DB creator rights
  3. Uninstalled AppVolumes
  4. Cleared all ghost data from the previous install in program files and confirmed registry and program data was clean
  5. Rebooted the system
  6. Reinstalled 2.5.2 as the service account
  7. Used the SQL account to create a new DB on my sql2012 server.
  8. Confirmed the system DSNs were created and populated.
  9. Rebooted and verified everything was working
0 Kudos
JHT_Seattle
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Glad to see you guys got it working.  Now you can start helping with other people's problems Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
ggordon
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Just talked to someone who hit this issue when upgrading from 2.5 to 2.6.

They were initially installing while RDPing to the server. While the install completed showing no errors they hit the same error when trying to start the manager. The fix was to access the console of server via the vSphere Web Client and run the install from there. This completes and you should be able to start the manager with no errors.

0 Kudos
jeniferslabaugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I did a clean install of 2.9 this morning and had the same problem.  My fix had fewer steps but still worked:

- Uninstall AppVolumes Manager

- Create ODBC connection manually

- Re-run the AppVolumes Manager installer

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

While installing Appvolumes manager for the first time we had the exact same issue but it has got nothing to do with Appvolumes Per se but more with permissions based on SQL (at least that's my idea of it Smiley Happy).

The problem is that if you don't use a service account for starting up the Appvolumes service it connects to the database server using the computer account. First time you install it it does create an SQL account attached to the computer account but this accoutn doesn't have the aquired priviliges. I would suggest creating the account manually in the SQL server, create an empty database manually and give this comoputer account DB Owner rights to the database. After this just start the installation and all tables will be created during install..

0 Kudos
EddieJvCORE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've attempted to install App Volumes Version 2.12.1 and 2.13.1. in both cases I get the same error after the installation is completed.

When I launch the desktop shortcut to access the App Volumes Manager  "The Item 'App Volumes Manager.url' that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly."

I have tried all of the suggestions above, I was wondering anyone ran into this issue and has a different solution.

I'm using a remote SQL server (although di attempt a test with the SQL Express install along with the App Volumes install).

Using a Service Account for the App Volume install.

ODBC connection to the database with the same service account.

SQL database - the service account is a dbo on the pre created database and sysadmin.

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos
ggordon
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Have you tried opening a browser and trying to open the admin console? This is all the shortcut and the URL is actually doing.

On the App Volumes Manager Server - https://localhost:443/

From another machine https://AppVolumesFQDN:443/

0 Kudos
EddieJvCORE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. Neither of those work.

Crazy question.. does IIS need to be installed?

0 Kudos
EddieJvCORE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I switched to using the SQL SA account and the install not only completed but the desktop shortcut also works. I can also browse from another machine https://AppVolumesFQDN:443/

2017-11-26_10-24-30.jpg

0 Kudos