VMware Horizon Community
JaceJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Issue with accessing WV and AS

So I'm seeing some issues with both Appstacks and writable volumes in 2.5.0 which I think are related just a matter of figuring out what needs to be changed.

• Writable Volumes
    • I have 2 accounts for my one account I assigned a writable volume set to a specific system.  When I log into the system in question I get Windows Profile Service is unable to load.  If I log into the same system with my secondary account on the same system I have no issues.  If I kill the writable volume in the manager I can then login with my first account without a problem.
    • I have verified I have no profile on the system as its a fresh load and I only use a local admin account to join it to the domain.
  • App Stacks
    • If I attach a test stack to a system for provisioning and attempt to install software I unable to create the directory "C:\Program Files(x86)\Cryptophane"  Error 5: Access is denied.  As soon as I cancel provisioning in the manager the software install completes with no problem.

The service account I'm running appVolumes manager as has the admin role

If I log into vcenter I can look at the vm and see the volumes are attached to the vms in question.

I've tried multiple builds to see if there is something set in Windows which is causing the issue.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JaceJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So a solution has been found.  It turns out a GPO was the cause of the issue.  Once I added my test machines to an exclusion it resolved the problem.

The policy in question contains the following settings which were the culprit

System/Removable Storage Access

• All Removable Storage Classes: Deny all Access  -Enabled
  • WPD Devices: Deny read access   -Enabled
  • WPD Devices: Deny write access  -Enabled

Getting ready to test an App stack but this appears to be the culprit.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JaceJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Anyone have an answer for this I'm currently dead in the water until I can figure this out.

0 Kudos
JHT_Seattle
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I would update to 2.5.2 if possible before building any further stacks.  Updating resolved a bunch of issues I was having trying to provision with 2.5.0.

As for the WV issue, I'm not quite sure I follow.  Can you restate the issue?

0 Kudos
JaceJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If I could update to 2.5.2 it would be ideal but still running into the cannot load such file--Tiny_tds error

As for the Writable Volumes if I have a WV attached to my first user account for a specific VM I am unable to log into my test system as the User Profile fails to load.  If I log into the same system with my 2nd account it works just fine.  If I then go into AppVolumes manager and disable my WV on the first account I am able to login to the same test system just fine.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

A writable volume is assigned to a specific user in your case? If you login with a specific account than during login the writable volume should be attached during login and detached when logging out.

If you log in with a different account it should attach a different writable volume.

Also, make sure to refresh the machine after logging of due to the fact that you would otherwise get caught with "rubbish" in the writable volume of other profiles and stuff.

0 Kudos
JaceJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So a solution has been found.  It turns out a GPO was the cause of the issue.  Once I added my test machines to an exclusion it resolved the problem.

The policy in question contains the following settings which were the culprit

System/Removable Storage Access

• All Removable Storage Classes: Deny all Access  -Enabled
  • WPD Devices: Deny read access   -Enabled
  • WPD Devices: Deny write access  -Enabled

Getting ready to test an App stack but this appears to be the culprit.

0 Kudos