VMware Horizon Community
mibarret
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Issue with Instant Clones and Writable Volumes

I'm on vSphere 6U3 with Horizon 7.0.3 / App Volumes 2.12 / UEM 9.1 - Running Instant Clones with Writable Volumes

The following is happening to multiple users:

A user (which has been working fine for a while) logs in from an EndPoint and gets to the desktop.

A few seconds later, the experience freezes and goes black.

The EndPoint throws up an Alert:  "You have been Disconnected."

Try to log in again (from any EndPoint) and a message appears: "The Display protocol for this desktop is currently blocked be a firewall."

I can log into the Instant Clone with the User account through RDP and everything seems to be OK on the VM.

If I disable the Writable Volume, I can then log-in with the User account through Horizon Client / EndPoint just fine.

If I re-enable the Writable Volume, I get the above error again.

If I delete the Writable Volume, a new one is created and everything works fine for awhile but eventually it comes back to this error again.

Any ideas??

Are Writable Volumes a bad way for persisting user profiles across Instant Clones?

What are other options?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AWordPlease
Contributor
Contributor

I can't say why you're having that specific problem, but we were recommended to NOT use Writable Volumes for user profile management. We were testing it while having these discussions, and found it resulted in many strange end-user experiences (as you have found).

We are no longer testing user profile management with Writable Volumes, they all have been deleted and we are managing user profiles with VMware User Environment Manager.

0 Kudos