VMware Horizon Community
robg2312
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Installing local software

Hi,

I have been trying to get the latest version of Quickbooks working with App Volumes but for some reason when I attach the AppStack to a new desktop the program keeps crashing.

I want to install Quickbooks directly onto the Client VDI machine for now but when I install the software onto the C drive all of the installed files disappear. The installed program files show up for a minute and then all vanish???

I have tested from several different desktops all with App Volumes Agent installed and the same happens.

Has this got something to do with the App Volumes Agent on the desktops? Can you install local software on a desktop with App Volumes agent without using a writable volume??

Thank you.

Rob.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Yes you can if you have the correct permissions off course. We did install applications on a machine that had appstacks attached without a writable volume. As long as the user is an administrator it should work. The appstack you attached is not in provisioning mode?? Also, when logging in what happens is that the Appstack VMDK is attached as a mountpoint and then merged with the current file system by using the AppVolumes filter driver. This information is read only (appstacks) and therefore can not be changed when attached to a machine (or it must be in provisioning mode). Files are therefore never removed from the local filesystem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Yes you can if you have the correct permissions off course. We did install applications on a machine that had appstacks attached without a writable volume. As long as the user is an administrator it should work. The appstack you attached is not in provisioning mode?? Also, when logging in what happens is that the Appstack VMDK is attached as a mountpoint and then merged with the current file system by using the AppVolumes filter driver. This information is read only (appstacks) and therefore can not be changed when attached to a machine (or it must be in provisioning mode). Files are therefore never removed from the local filesystem.

0 Kudos