VMware Horizon Community
JHT_Seattle
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Installing additional Manager with overwrite database unchecked still overwrites database?

Is there any way to recover it?  I had already added one additional Manager, which went fine, but the 2nd one ignored the setting and now I'm looking at the start-config page. 😕

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

this is a know issue and has been resolved with 2.5.2. It is currently available on Myvmware.com and the try it now link on the App Volumes landing page. Very sorry for this and no way to recover it overwrites..

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
hockeyguyin714
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Are you seeing any data in the tables in SQL?

Are you performing any SQL backups?

Are you using Writeable Volumes?

How many assignments did you have?

How many AppStacks do you have?

I will also see if I have the same in my test lab and look into this issue.

0 Kudos
JHT_Seattle
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I've since re-entered all information in the setup wizard, so I can't answer the first question.

Yes, SQL backups are in place (automated), but I didn't make one manually before installing the additional Manager.

We are not using Writeable Volumes (at this time).

We had ~40 assignments at the time.

We have ~70 AppStacks.

I've seen other forum posts noting this issue as well.  I didn't have an issue with the 2nd Manager I installed, just the 3rd.

0 Kudos
hockeyguyin714
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You could restore the SQL backup to resolve this issue.

Power off App Volumes Managers restore the SQL backup and then power them back on. 

This should resolve the issue.

If you are unable to do the above you will just need to rescan the AppStacks and this should bring them back in.

You will then need to redo the assignments.

Two worked but the third one overwrote the database, is that correct?

0 Kudos
jahos_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had the same issue. I think this is a bug. The overwrite database checkbox in the installation wizard is just not working

0 Kudos
JHT_Seattle
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I would have restored, but I had made assignments since the last backup, so it would have been about as useful as starting from nothing.  Now, at least, I know to make SQL backups before installing a new Manager.

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

this is a know issue and has been resolved with 2.5.2. It is currently available on Myvmware.com and the try it now link on the App Volumes landing page. Very sorry for this and no way to recover it overwrites..

0 Kudos
JHT_Seattle
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

So is the only way to get the newer version of App Volumes is to go through the trial link?  Are release notes posted anywhere?

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

No, it is available on myvmware.com for existing customers. Release notes have been updated as well.

App Volumes 2.5.2 Release Notes

JHT_Seattle
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The BullZip and SxS fixes are much appreciated, too!

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Much more in the works coming soon Smiley Wink We are not resting on laurels. Many all nighters...

0 Kudos