VMware Horizon Community
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Installing RSAT 8.1 with Cloudvolumes 2.7

Hello Everybody.

I'm trying to install RSAT 8.1 for our sysadmin on windows 8.1 , but it fails. It seems that  the installer package is able to see that it's being installed on a second volume:

Processing 1 of 1 - Adding package Microsoft-Windows-RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Package-TopLevel~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.3.9600.16384

[===================        32.8%                          ]

An error occurred - Microsoft-Windows-RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Package-TopLevel Error: 0x80070011

Error: 17

The system cannot move the file to a different disk drive

err  0x80070011
# as an HRESULT: Severity: FAILURE (1), FACILITY_WIN32 (0x7), Code 0x11
# for hex 0x11 / decimal 17
  ERROR_NOT_SAME_DEVICE winerror
.h
# The system cannot move the file to a different disk drive.
# 1 matches found for "0x80070011"

Did someone manage to install RSAT on App Volumes and how?

Kind regards

Cristiano

9 Replies
JHT_Seattle
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I know it's not Windows 8.1 as you're trying to do, but I just wanted to say that I do have a successful stack of the RSAT tools for Windows 7, in case anyone sees this thread and has a concern.

Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You might be able to give the appstack a drive letter? Could be worth a try.

I do know that Google has it's issues with installing files on a non native disk and having no drive letter for the appstack could cause these issues. And as JHT says, we also have RSAT on a W7 machine in an appstack, works like a charm.

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello,

I tried with a drive letter. Same error. I know it must work because I did it once on Windows 8.1 but I'm not able anymore to provision this tool in an AppStack.

Cristiano

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMware told me that RSAT is not supported:

"RSAT is a Windows component installed by Windows Update Standalone Installer (WUSA). It install and update multiple Windows components.

App Volumes does not support packaging Windows Components"

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

LOL, wait wut??

For as far as i'm aware they should support up to almost anyhting. I think it is a strange answer to just say we don't support it but that's just my 2 cents. And RSAT is an addon for Windows, not a Windows Component per say.

And as said, we have it running in our W7 VDI desktops.

How are you trying to install the RSAT tools btw? We don't install it using the Software and Packages tool in Windows itself but the stand alone installer.

Could you try and download the stand alone installer and install with this? Make sure to enable the Windows Update service before you begin and make sure to disable it after you end installation, otherwise this appstack will enable Windows Update service and you really don't want that.

Download Remote Server Administration Tools voor Windows 8 from Official Microsoft Download Center

sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ray, thats how I tried to install it. But this installation seems tobe able to detect that it's not installed on the same disk as the os, so it fails.

I will Install this on the base image, and manage it via GPO. It's strage, as I said before, once I did manage to install it.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'm looking at W10 right now to see if I can manage to install it there but when I enable Appvolumes the installation fails.

Anyone else got RSAT on W10 running and if so how did you pull this off?

0 Kudos
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm not sure how Windows 8.1 handles the RSAT tools, but in Windows 7 I actually have it installed on the parent image and then in the appstack I just enable the feature, that way I don't have to have the install in the actual appstack.  If Windows 8.1 works the same way in that you can install the RSAT tools, but it isn't enabled yet you could do that.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We eventually ended up assigning the RSAT tootls for Windows 7 and they all seems to function quite well. Not the best of all options but it does do the trick.

0 Kudos