VMware Horizon Community
zengfuyang
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to work for the Distribution Strategy of storage group?

Any body can help me understand the Distribution Strategy for storage group?

On the App Volumes, the storage have below option:

Spread: Distribute files evenly across all the storage locations.
When a file is created, the storage with the most available space is selected.

Round-robin: Distribute files by sequentially using the storage locations.
When a file is created, the storage with the oldest used time is selected.  

I don't know what's different of this two option. When i select this option, what i can see on my environment? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I believe that this is only used for writable volumes right?

If you use storage groups with appstacks all appstacks are synced between both storages when using the sync option.

When you create writable volumes in the storage group it will create it in one of the Datastores defined in the storage group.

Let's say your staorage is called ST1, ST2, ST3 and ST4 and ST1 and 2 are 100GB and 3 and 4 are 1000GB then this is what happens.

Rond Robin is

ST1, ST2, ST3, ST4, ST1, ST2, ST3, ST4 and so on and so forth. It would take into account freen space.

With the other one it will do

ST3, ST4, ST3, ST4 until both also have 100GB diskspace and it will then evenly distribute.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I believe that this is only used for writable volumes right?

If you use storage groups with appstacks all appstacks are synced between both storages when using the sync option.

When you create writable volumes in the storage group it will create it in one of the Datastores defined in the storage group.

Let's say your staorage is called ST1, ST2, ST3 and ST4 and ST1 and 2 are 100GB and 3 and 4 are 1000GB then this is what happens.

Rond Robin is

ST1, ST2, ST3, ST4, ST1, ST2, ST3, ST4 and so on and so forth. It would take into account freen space.

With the other one it will do

ST3, ST4, ST3, ST4 until both also have 100GB diskspace and it will then evenly distribute.

0 Kudos