VMware Horizon Community
Hiront
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to reset Writable volume template

Hi expert

I uploaded snapvol.conf file to writable volume using "Update Writables".

I look like UIA Only and UIA+Profile template was updated.

I want to update UIA+Profile template only.

UIA Only template use another environment.

Could you tell me how to reset Writable volume template?

and

Could you tell me how to update specific template ?

Best regards

Hiro

4 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You can just remove the old one by going to the datastore the template resides on and go to Cloudvolumes\writable_templates and upload another version if you would like to.

It is rather easy to change it, just attach it to a virtual machine that doesn't have the Appvolumes agent installed and you can change and configure it.

What happens when you create a writable is that the disk is being copied and renamed after the user you create the writable for.

pchapman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think he is asking how to remove the writable zip file he uploaded since it applies to all templates.  According to VMW support, there is no supported way to do this.  You'd have to rebuild the entire AppVolumes Manager with a new database.  I wish there was a way to have multiple update zip files and attach them to different "Groups" per say.

Hiront
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for your reply.

Hi ray

Oh!

Does it mean that attach template vmdk file to VM not installed agent if I change template?

Thats`s great!

That operation can change specific template.

Is it supported operation?

Hi pchapman

That`s correct.

I look like that uploaded files using "Update Writable" is in AppVolumes server.

When attached writable volume, download to writable volume from server.

If I want to setup some version snapvol.cfg, I will create some template vmdk direct changed.

Best regards

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes, it is supported to create a new writable template.

We did this to create a larger writable volume so we could get more info on it. 10GB is rather small if you give users the option to install applications themselves.

And thanks for poiting that one out Smiley Happy. For as far as I'm aware you cannot remove it from the database without tinkering with the database itself which is not supported. If you do have a testing enviornment you could giev it a shot (make sure to make a backup before doing this). But still you would have a large amount of writables that do have the change in place so you end up with inconsitency between writables.

0 Kudos