VMware Horizon Community
Douglas42Adams
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to backup / restore individual app stacks ??

Just curious how everyone is backing up / restoring Individual app stacks ?

Does one just restore the vmdk and vmdk.metadata to its original location ?

We of course have backups on our SAN.. but this is at the LUN / NFS Share level . No granularity.. It's bring it all back or nothing .

Would the easiest way be just to :

1) Make a Storage Group in the manager .

2) Mark the Destination Datastore as Not Attachable .. ( ie its the 'live backup ) .

3) Then i should have an exact replica of my app stacks on a different LUN ?

If i needed to restore an Individual App Stack i just copy over the corresponding VMDK and VMDK.Metadata from the backup to the source LUN ?

Just curious how everyone was doing Granular restores / backups..etc. of their app stacks.

There's Tons of hours of time on these . Would hate to lose them .

thanks .

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Alot of storage vendors allow you take snapshots of the lun and clone it to another one. Thats what I've down, but I also download all the appstacks and put them on a external file server just incase, you lose the thin provisioned state though if you do that. Its mainly for a secondary backup, cloning to a new datsatore has worked for me.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Alot of storage vendors allow you take snapshots of the lun and clone it to another one. Thats what I've down, but I also download all the appstacks and put them on a external file server just incase, you lose the thin provisioned state though if you do that. Its mainly for a secondary backup, cloning to a new datsatore has worked for me.

0 Kudos
Douglas42Adams
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks sjesse​ .

0 Kudos