VMware Horizon Community
TonySpeight
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How does App Volumes handle multiple app stacks that have the same pre-requisites installed within them?

If I create 2 separate AppStacks that have 2 different applications installed but need the same pre-requisites (I.E. Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable x86) how does app volumes handle this when its deployed to the image?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cH1LL1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It should just merge and work.

trial and error.

(If you run in to issues) You could publish both apps with the prereq software as one Appstack.

then simply remove or add the correct icons to the relevent user group using AD.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
cH1LL1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It should just merge and work.

trial and error.

(If you run in to issues) You could publish both apps with the prereq software as one Appstack.

then simply remove or add the correct icons to the relevent user group using AD.

0 Kudos
TonySpeight
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi cH1LL1

Thank you for your reply.

As you have said I was under the impression multiple pre-reqs "should just merge and work". We haven't encountered any issues that we have noticed, I was wondering whether if it would be beneficial to install the pre-reqs into our gold image rather than having them multiple times within the app stacks.

0 Kudos
cH1LL1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It really comes down to what works for you and your master image best.

example: we have .NET in the image and multiple appstacked applications rely on this.

however in cases where the latest version of .NET  is required as a pre-req  we then appstack this with the application.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

As you have said I was under the impression multiple pre-reqs "should just merge and work". We haven't encountered any issues that we have noticed, I was wondering whether if it would be beneficial to install the pre-reqs into our gold image rather than having them multiple times within the app stacks.

I would always suggest installing middleware in the golden image, so that means all vc redists and .Net framwork but also JRE or other stuff like that. Make sure your packaging machine also has these applications installed on it, otherwise Appvolumes will still install it into the appstack.

But as cH1LL1 says it is always a matter of opinion, whatever suits your needs best.