VMware Horizon Community
Chewza
Contributor
Contributor

Horizon 6 App Volumes Acrobat Licensing

Good morning all, I'm in the process of working on a full stack Horizon 6 PoC and am running into some issues with Acrobat licensing.

We're utilizing linked clone non-persistent desktops for this particular use case, and are capturing applications utilizing App Volumes.

However it appears that Adobe Acrobat is storing licensing data in the machine's ProgramData, and not the User's AppData folders, which means we can't redirect that using Persona Management.

At this time unfortunately due to purchasing processes, we do not have a volume license for Acrobat, we're trying to avoid attaching writable volumes to each user.

Does anyone have experience capturing individual licensing data for Acrobat when utilizing linked clone non-persistent desktops? Or how I can go about saving the license that a user enters when they open Acrobat?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
agalliasistju
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there!  We are in this same boat 😕

Did you resolve this need for Adobe Acrobat licensing while using an App Stack?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Smoke14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You need some kind of Persona Management like UEM that can monitor that location.

-Or-

You will have to get creative with GPO and/or scripts.

Mike_A

Mike_A
0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

-Or-

You can use a writable volume Smiley Happy Smiley Happy. Thing is that you need any kind of profile management no matter how you put it. Thing is that an Appstack wont capture any User info (%APPDATA% and HKCU).

0 Kudos
Smoke14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ray,

Thx for that reminder. I don't like WV and never had from day one, so I forget about them all the time.

Mike_A
0 Kudos
agalliasistju
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We do use UEM.  But, since I'm not familiar with Adobe Acrobat Pro licensing process I'm not sure what that has to do with it.  Can you shed any light so I don't have to reinvent the wheel?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Smoke14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

IT's been awhile since I have done this and my current client has not got Adobe Acrobat Stand and/or Enterprise yet. But I would the following two choices.

1. Create Adobe Acrobat (Std/Ent) AppStack by just kicking off the manual installation steps. After the installation is complete,  run UEM Profile manager and have it launch AA to capture all profile settings. Save the app config files to a network share or save them to your UEM Dev/UAT ...\UEMConfig\general location.
    1. Then test to see if everything was captured.
  2. Use this URL as a reference to create a custom installation, Terence Luk: ThinApp Adobe Acrobat X Standard with VMware ThinApp 4.7 for VMware View 5.0, then you would follow the 'Run UEM Profiler' in step one.

Last resort would be to ThinApp and then use AV to deploy.

These are just suggestions to help you figure out which solution would be best for you and your current environment.

Mike_A.

Mike_A
0 Kudos
agalliasistju
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK cool.  Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Smoke14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Please make sure you come back and give us an update if successful and mark complete or let us know what other issues you are encountering.

Mike_A
0 Kudos
agalliasis
Contributor
Contributor

Here's what worked:

Create a MST using the Adobe Customization Wizard X where I set all the appropriate settings + the license key and such.  The EULA would keep popping up on first launch after each logon.  Since that was too annoying I finally used this command line to perform the install using App Volumes:

msiexec.exe /I "acropro.msi" EULA_ACCEPT=YES REGISTRATION_SUPPRESS=YES /TRANSFORMS=file.mst

This resolved the constant EULA after each logon.

0 Kudos