VMware Horizon Community
zengfuyang
Contributor
Contributor

Help understand how to work for appstack.

When I test the App volumes with appstack, I have a  question as below:

When a VM have attached a appstack for a user, then change some settings and install some application on this VM. After this, logout and login via another user, what will happen? The settings and application will be observe or not?

We all know that the appstack is a read-only volume file, so I think all installed application should be install on VM's disk, and although change another user login, this application should be observed and usable.

But on my environment, all settings and application are belong to the user, after change another user login, all settings and application disappeared. Any people would be tell me why. thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Are you using any writable volumes (UIA + Profile) for users?

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Just a few things about Appvolumes.. Although i would suggest reading into the manual because it is explained inthere Smiley Happy.

Appstacks can be assigned to both users and computers. If you assign an appstack (read only as you state) to a user it will only be assigned to this user. During login to the machine it is reconfigured and appliactions are assigned. If another user logs in the applications will not be there or you need to assign the applications to both users. During logoff the appstack will be removed form the machine.

That being said. If you use Appvolumes you need to use a non persistent floating pool and refresh a machine to clean state after use. If you want to record user settings use (as Lakshman said) writable volumes.

If you want applications to be installed on a machine for all users to be used (and all settings to be used on that machine) i would suggest not to use appvolumes and go for persistent  machines with persona management (or anything like that).

The power of Appvolumes is that you have 1 golden image with a non persistent floating pool and the machine is personilised during login for that specific user.

0 Kudos