VMware Horizon Community
iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Folder redirection and Writable Volumes

If we're using folder redirection via GPO for our View desktops, and also deploy writable volumes, how can we ensure that writable volumes doesn't store the same folder data that is already being redirected? For example, if a user stored a 20GB file on the desktop, and we have folder redirection storing that safely to say the user's home directory, how can we ensure that writable volumes isn't storing that 20GB file too?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey Iforbes,

We are also using folder redirection in our VM's along with writable volumes.

Just as a reference, Appvolumes doesn't do anything different than a "normal" Windows machine would do. What i mean by this is that the writable volumes does not store information that is not written to it's local disk.

If you set up folder redirection and the folder redirection succeeeds files are stored on the homedrive because windows sees this directory as it's location to store the information, it will not be stored locally. If however for some reason folder redirection fails and the desktop IS stored locally, information will be saved into the writable volume.

Because folder redirection is executed during logon it is already in place when the user logs on so information will not be stored on the writable volume. We do this succesfully with desktop, my documents (and subfolders) and downloads and it works like a charm.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey Iforbes,

We are also using folder redirection in our VM's along with writable volumes.

Just as a reference, Appvolumes doesn't do anything different than a "normal" Windows machine would do. What i mean by this is that the writable volumes does not store information that is not written to it's local disk.

If you set up folder redirection and the folder redirection succeeeds files are stored on the homedrive because windows sees this directory as it's location to store the information, it will not be stored locally. If however for some reason folder redirection fails and the desktop IS stored locally, information will be saved into the writable volume.

Because folder redirection is executed during logon it is already in place when the user logs on so information will not be stored on the writable volume. We do this succesfully with desktop, my documents (and subfolders) and downloads and it works like a charm.

iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Ray. Great info! Thanks very much.

0 Kudos