VMware Horizon Community
khuglenFCP
Contributor
Contributor

Evernote as an Appstack

Hello,

Has anyone else had any success deploying Evernote as its own appstack?

It seems no matter how I provision the app as an appstack, whenever I apply it to a VM, it has to "re-configure" for a minute before it runs, but after that it appears to work okay. once you log off and back in, you run it and again it reconfigures for a minute before working again.

We are currently using Horizon view 7.3 in coordination with AppVolumes 2.13.2.13 and UEM 9.3. the test pool VMs are on windows 10 version 1703 provisioning as instant clones.

I've tried provisioning on a VM with office pre-installed as well as google chrome, firefox, and adobe reader. that didnt seem to make a difference.

My gut is telling me that evernote is not connecting to all of its dependent pieces, sees that, and attempts to install the missing pieces.

don't know whether to blame appvolumes, evernote, or maybe i'm just not approaching the creation of this appstack correctly.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Kyle Huglen – Systems Administrator Forest County Potawatomi Community
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

During provisioning, have you selected 'All users'? 

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
khuglenFCP
Contributor
Contributor

Yupp I made sure to choose that option.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Does this reconfigure only happen when you use the shortcut?

What happens if you go to the Explorer and start the application from there??

If so the shortcut that is being created in an (not quite sure if the name is correct) interactive shortcut.

Just try and recreate the shortcut if this is indeed the issue.

0 Kudos
khuglenFCP
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Ray_handels. Looks like that did the trick.

I ran Evernote.exe from C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\ and it opened just fine.

When i run the Evernote shortcut from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Evernote\ it started to configure again. I will try to update the appstack with a new shortcut and see if that fixes the problem.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Apparently Appvolumes doesn't like those shortcuts if placed in an appstack.

0 Kudos
rdonohue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How exactly did you guys fix the shortcuts? Just delete the desktop and start menu shortcuts and replace them with ones created by hand?

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes. What you see happening is that some shortcuts that are created point to the name of the application instead of the actual file.

I believe these shortcuts do have a name just not sure what it is called.

So the moment you see the name of the application instead of the actual path just recreate the shortcut manually.

0 Kudos