VMware Horizon Community
Douglas42Adams
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Error Code 400: Volumes were not mounted due to an error on the server - error from the manager

I have a critical app stack that is refusing to update .

I take away the Updated appstack machine gets in fine.. mounts other app stacks.

Even the Original app stack the update was spun off from works great.

Original was created w/ 2.15 appstack template.

Agent version it was created with was 2.16.1.2U

Capture was 2.16.1.2

Right now im getting "error from the manager - Error code 400.  Volumes were not mounted due to an error on the server ."

Virtualization is disabled .

I take away the upgraded app stack.. logs in fine.

Ive tried it w/ the client at 2.17 and 2.16.11 on the Instant clone .

Our Manager IS still at 2.15.. i was told that was OK .

I have a ticket open.. not even sure where to start .

Recreating this app stack from scratch would be rather horrible.

Plus..shouldnt the upgrade process be viable ?... i wouldnt think everyone is 100% recreating app stacks when they want to make a change right ?!?

thx much ,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Douglas42Adams
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This was due to our App Stack name being Too long.

We upgraded an existing app stack.. ( which the name length was fine ) .. however this now created a VMDK for the app stack that was too long.

There was No warning.. the symptom was the app stack just doesnt load.. you get a virtualization error when loading the instant clone w/ the app stack applied.

Thanks to crazy awesome vmware support they were able to track it down.

This will appear in the app stack manager log :

"The filename is too long (msg.disklib.NAMETOOLONG)"

also for some reason i didnt 'catch' that the app vol manager logs were \\app vol server\log .. that's where its location.

not sure if client said anything about it as we only checked the manager log.. and stopped  - as we found the error.

It appears Spaces take up 4 characters ?.. is that common for linux ?.. sorry im a windows guy.  So a space in an app stack gets converted to "!20!" in the name of the appstck VMDK.

We will just stop using spaces and just use dashes..and/or make smaller names.

thx .

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Douglas42Adams
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This was due to our App Stack name being Too long.

We upgraded an existing app stack.. ( which the name length was fine ) .. however this now created a VMDK for the app stack that was too long.

There was No warning.. the symptom was the app stack just doesnt load.. you get a virtualization error when loading the instant clone w/ the app stack applied.

Thanks to crazy awesome vmware support they were able to track it down.

This will appear in the app stack manager log :

"The filename is too long (msg.disklib.NAMETOOLONG)"

also for some reason i didnt 'catch' that the app vol manager logs were \\app vol server\log .. that's where its location.

not sure if client said anything about it as we only checked the manager log.. and stopped  - as we found the error.

It appears Spaces take up 4 characters ?.. is that common for linux ?.. sorry im a windows guy.  So a space in an app stack gets converted to "!20!" in the name of the appstck VMDK.

We will just stop using spaces and just use dashes..and/or make smaller names.

thx .

0 Kudos