VMware Horizon Community
epa80
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Epic HyperSpace AppStack = Breaks Office 2013

Here is a weird one for you.

We have a base image with Microsoft Office 2013 locally installed. In almost all of our instances, we have no issues. We're appstacking a whole bunch of apps, and again, by and large, no problems.

Except for our biggest app stack need. Epic Hyperspace. Our enterprise wide EMR. Ugh.

So if I login to a pool in Horizon without the Epic appstack, Office launches without issue (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.). If I logoff, logon to that same pool, but now add myself to the Epic appstack group and drop it to the VM, now when I launch Office, I am presented with the Office setup wizard (in the completion steps). See attached.

Now if I stay on that VM it seems to only need to go through once, but, out developers are connecting into a linked clone pool and need to access Office here and there. Is this just a shortcoming of App Volumes, or is the Epic application itself just a demon (I bet the latter)?

To reiterate: Office is installed in the base. We use KMS to activate. All of these steps/screenshots I have attached, ONLY happen when we attach the Epic app stack.

Thanks for anyone who has any idea what could possibly be causing this. We haven't opened a ticket, yet.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Smoke14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Did you provision Epic on a VM that had Office installed or did you provision from your master image?

Also, did you re-arm Office in your master image the last time you cracked it open to make changes?

Mike_A
0 Kudos
epa80
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm trying to find out the details from my co-worker who did the provisioning. If I was a betting man, I would bet he did not provision Epic on a VM with Office. I'm pretty sure his provisioning machine is flat Windows, but, I could be mistaken.

One update I do have though. We had a previous AppStack version of Epic (RA26, the current one is RA27). When remove me RA27 assignment, and assign RA26 instead, the error does not happen. This now leads me to believe it's something within this update that breaks it. The problem is, I am betting that users who have PCs with Epic/Office locally installed, not doing AppStacking, are just fine.

0 Kudos
Smoke14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If that is the case on the update is the only one not working, I'm betting that he did not provision on a VM with Office installed.

FYI, best practice is to have a Capture-n-Build VM have all the base apps that is on your master image in most cases. That way you are capturing the application to your environment. But the CnB should not have any GPO's or scripts being applied at capturing/provisioning time.

Mike_A
0 Kudos
epa80
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We are going to re-provision the AppStack with Office in the base and give it another try. I'll reply back later today/tomorrow if that indeed fixes it.

0 Kudos
dadokai
Contributor
Contributor

The Hyperspace RA/CP is specific to your organization, so the number you supplied may not mean much to the rest of the world.  It might be useful to know what Epic release you're on though (2012, 2014, 2015).

You can mask the presence of Office by deleting the registry madness below (in the case of Office 2013 Pro x86).  You can probably just create it and then delete it within the Epic app stack.  Check with your Microsoft representative to find out whether this breaks functionality/interoperability, or worse, EULA.

reg delete HKCR\Installer\Features\00005109110000000000000000F01FEC /v ProductNonBootFiles /f

0 Kudos