VMware Horizon Community
TrickyDizzle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Domain printers installed from directory not working?

Hello!

I've tried to install printers into an app stack that wasn't joined to the domain (by accessing the print server and using my login), I've attempted to join the app volumes base image to the domain and then add the printers using the print directory, and I have attempted to install printers while a profile + UIA writable volume is attached for an individual user. I could not see the printers in windows in any of my test cases. I also looked through the available documentation and didnt see anything about printers. Am I missing some steps?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TrickyDizzle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Jason!

I thought the same thing about the app volume containing the networked driver, however, the only bit of information on these forums about printers says that they app stack without issue, which is why I tried. I see where the line is now Smiley Happy

Additionally, after more testing, it looks like my UIA + Profile writable volume was capturing the printers, but I was thinking it had installed to the local floating pool virtual desktop for some reason and it was not. We are not using any profile management in addition to the writable volume. Thanks for the help.

For anyone wondering, printers (and their settings) are saved in a profile only writable volume.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

OOk let's get a couple baseline items out of the way. The first two in theory would not work if I understand what you are doing because the mapping would be to the user and that is not captured in an AppStack. But the WV should have grabbed that printer.

Version of app volumes?

Windows 7?

What printer manufacture?

Universal Print Driver?

Using any uem like persona, appsense, etc?

Real time attach or at login?

Also try to restart the spoiler service and see if the printer shows up.

Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Just my 2 cents but if you install a printer into an appstasck and your not attached to the domain wont this be installed into your own account?

If you would like to add it to the appstack my guess would be that you need to log on as an admin and install the printer "locally" to let it show up in the appstack for other users.

We install printers using Windows policies though, works like a charm and with item level targeting we can also decide which user gets what printer.

0 Kudos
TrickyDizzle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Jason!

I thought the same thing about the app volume containing the networked driver, however, the only bit of information on these forums about printers says that they app stack without issue, which is why I tried. I see where the line is now Smiley Happy

Additionally, after more testing, it looks like my UIA + Profile writable volume was capturing the printers, but I was thinking it had installed to the local floating pool virtual desktop for some reason and it was not. We are not using any profile management in addition to the writable volume. Thanks for the help.

For anyone wondering, printers (and their settings) are saved in a profile only writable volume.

0 Kudos