VMware Horizon Community
david_it
Contributor
Contributor

Delete old users / computers

Hi,

I try to delete old users or computers from App Volumes 2.10 management console.

How can we get it done... I can't find nothing.

I try deactivate, the AppVol see it.

I try then delete the user from AD, but still deactivate in console.

Do I need to remove SQL entry ? Hope not.

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
nuberaldhoore
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm afraid you will have to do it directly on the SQL database.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

There was no way of removing it other than doing this from the database.

There also was a bug in Appvolumes manager 2.9 and older that if you moved the group to another OU it was unable to find this group because the CN was used instead of the GUID.

I believe Jason posted on the forums somewhere that this would be fixed in version 2.10.

Also, be aware that it is not supported to remove entries in the database.

I would much more prefer a feature request (if we post it all inhere it might just happen) to have a "clean up database for users and computers" option.

0 Kudos
david_it
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the answer. I like the option "clean up DB".

i try to do it in the DB yesterday, but not a success, believe some ID or key are use in some tables.

Will wait to see if VMware will do something on that point.

Thanks

David

0 Kudos
nuberaldhoore
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The only supported option that's available to clean the DB is Pruning the App Volumes SQL Database - VMware End-User Computing Blog - VMware Blogs

But this is not going to clean up old users/computers

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I did do some fiddling around in the database and removing groups and OU's could be done quite easily without to much hassle.

Removing a user is a more daunting task though Smiley Happy. Problem is that if you are using Wtritable volumes i believe the Users database is used to attach the writable volume to a user logging in which could cause the database to crash or writable volumes not to be attached anymore..

Depending on how large the database is and if this is production or not you could build up a new database. Only thing you need to do then is run through the configuration one more time and them import all appstacks and writable volumes and assign Appstacks to the preferred groups and your good to go. I would only suggest this in a testing environment or some sort of PoC where you need to go into production and would like to clean up the database. Appvolumes is quite "smart" in how it handles it's writable volumes and appstacks.

0 Kudos