VMware Horizon Community
Gekken1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Creating new App Stack template

Hi I need to create some App Stack which need more than the default 20GB of space. This kb indicates it should be easy to create a new custom template of the size I choose. VMware Knowledge Base

However when I try to power on a vm with the template.vmdk attached I get this error:

Failed to start the virtual machine.

Module 'Disk' power on failed.

Cannot open the disk '/vmfs/volumes/vsan:5233355aa54ecd35-702649431d451a32/0fbe725b-3576-facb-106d-0050568614e7/apps_templates/template.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

Disk '/vmfs/volumes/vsan:5233355aa54ecd35-702649431d451a32/0fbe725b-3576-facb-106d-0050568614e7/apps_templates/template.vmdk' cannot be opened for writing. It might be shared with some other VM.

In this specific case the template.vmdk is located on a vSAN, but had just the same issue in another environment running VMFS on SAN.

Did also try to stop App Volumes Manager Service.

In both environment I'm running 2.14.

Any suggestions?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

There's an option to change this, the setting ddb.deletable=false is set. This is an attribute that Appvolumes sets so an appstack or writable is not being deleted accidentally.

Just open the bowser and edit (i believe) the metadata file of the newly created template disk. Search for the value ddb.deletable=false and change the value to true.

If you do create a new appstack from this template this value will be set to false the moment you seal the appstack. So no worries that you might delete it..

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

There's an option to change this, the setting ddb.deletable=false is set. This is an attribute that Appvolumes sets so an appstack or writable is not being deleted accidentally.

Just open the bowser and edit (i believe) the metadata file of the newly created template disk. Search for the value ddb.deletable=false and change the value to true.

If you do create a new appstack from this template this value will be set to false the moment you seal the appstack. So no worries that you might delete it..

0 Kudos
Gekken1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for you input, it did fix the issue. If anyone else is struggling with same issue, here a KB about how to change the ddb.deletable=false VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
lvredrider
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This worked for me as well. Thanks

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Also you could simply extend the disk while packaging. What I have done if I find out that I don't have enough space is simply extend it using Extend disk in the Vsphere browser and then ectend it in Windows, works like a charm..