VMware Horizon Community
fugrat1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Create an appstack with reliance on another appstack

I have to create several appstacks with Office plugins / addon components.  It obvioulsy seems more sensible to create one Office Appstack and then separate appstacks for the plugins / addons.  Is this possible, as you can only provision a new appstack on a machine with no appstacks attached.  Also if I update the Office AppStack, with Windows updates for example, would I need to regenerate all the other appstacks as the office install has changed?  This seems a bit counter-intuitive as it would then be more sensible to install office into each of my separate appstacks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You could install Office in an Appstack, then before you start creating addins just install Office (using the exact same procedure as done with the Appstack) to install Office before you start the capture process. The Appsatck normally won;t hold to much Office info and add-ins are available.

My guess is it depends on the add-ins you would like to install doesn't it? Are they able to work with Office even though there is a security update? Normally i would say installing an update wo'n't break the add-in but you will never get any guarantees.

But why not install Office into the golden image if you want all users to have it? Are you using multiple Office versions?

0 Kudos
fugrat1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Ray.  I am unable to install Office into the Golden Image as not all VDI users are entitled to use it.  I've put it to VMware and they have said that the best option would be to install Office into each AppStack that requires it, seems a bit strange with the layering concept, but that's the way it is!

0 Kudos
Smoke14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I suggest creating two master images and on will have Office applied natively. This will make your life easer in managing your OS and Office updates, since Office is so integrated with Windows.

Then create your Plug-in/Add-ins AppStack to maintain those vendor applets easer in updating.

But if your using UEM, you could stay with one master image and Office natively installed. Because you can hide the shortcuts and/or Application Block for users that don't have permissions to use Office.

Mike_A
0 Kudos