VMware Horizon Community
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Core goes to 100% - C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18

Hello,

some appstacks are causing one core to go to 100% of CPU usage. The process is a svchost.exe, so it's difficult to pinpoint the cause. I noticed using procmon that when this happens the directory "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18" is constantly accessed.

Sometimes relaxing permission of this directory resolve the issue, renaming it works always, but I don't have any idea of possible side effects. Anyone has similar problems?

I will try to exclude this directory form the snapvol.cfg and see what happens.

Screen Shot 2016-01-07 at 01.13.53.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gaurav_Baghla
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Are you using Horizon View  as well If yes then can you help us with the View logs please

1. Go to c:\programdata\microsoft\crypto\rsa\machinekeys\** folder.
  2. Add the group Everyone and set the access level to Full control on machine keys folder
    1. Right-click the key, click Properties and Click the Security tab.
    2. Under Groups or user names, click Edit > Add > Enter group name everyone > Click OK.
    3. Under Permissions for Authenticated Users, select Full control under Allow and click on OK
    4. Reboot the VM

Let me know if that makes a Difference I personally think this is more related to VIew as View uses these Keys for Wsnm

Regards Gaurav Baghla Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. https://twitter.com/garry_14

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

UPDATE:

I updated some appstacks and for now the issue seems to be gone. Note: when excluding "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18" from capture some applications, for example creative suite 6 are not working!

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Does it stay at 100% as long as the AppStack is attached or just peg and then reduce over time?

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

it stays al 46/48 % of a two core machine for at least 10 minutes, didn't test longer. Load shrinks when other tasks are using cpu, but all te same it's a problem in a shared environment. Didn't try to detach the appstack.

If you are interested I have opened a SR 16850297401, and I uploaded some logs as requested. Btw it's a 8.1 x64 VM

0 Kudos
Gaurav_Baghla
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Are you using Horizon View  as well If yes then can you help us with the View logs please

1. Go to c:\programdata\microsoft\crypto\rsa\machinekeys\** folder.
  2. Add the group Everyone and set the access level to Full control on machine keys folder
    1. Right-click the key, click Properties and Click the Security tab.
    2. Under Groups or user names, click Edit > Add > Enter group name everyone > Click OK.
    3. Under Permissions for Authenticated Users, select Full control under Allow and click on OK
    4. Reboot the VM

Let me know if that makes a Difference I personally think this is more related to VIew as View uses these Keys for Wsnm

Regards Gaurav Baghla Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. https://twitter.com/garry_14
0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Gaurav,

I will try that. I did change the permissions in the appstack itself and not on the base image. Maybe it works better in the base image, I have to try that. Thank you

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hello,

you suggestion fixes this problem. Mounting the old affected appstack with the change of permissions works fine. I have also collected the logs of an affected machine, where can I send them?

I have an SR opened, 16850297401, I can upload them there if needed.

0 Kudos
Gaurav_Baghla
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Go Ahead and upload to the SR I will try to have a look at that from ftp.

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Done

0 Kudos