VMware Horizon Community
almostIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Chrome (or similar application) abrupt application exit

When a user opens Chrome it launches, but then exits abruptly. A small command prompt screen appears for a split second then disappears.

Version of Chrome is 106.x, 32bit or 64bit. 

appwiz.cpl shows the wrong version of Chrome, 85.x.

C;\Program Files(x86)\Google\Application\Chrome\ shows TWO version of the application.

I'm adding this in case it happens to someone else.

SOLUTION: There is an older instance of Chrome (or similar application) installed by accident in an app stack.

Check your app stack(s) for the culprit. Narrow it down by date of installation and applications a user has access. Uninstall the older application version from the app stack or rebuild the entire stack. Hope this never happens to someone else.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
aflopez
Contributor
Contributor

I am experiencing this, as well. It's occurring with 106.x install MSI package.

When installing with the Chrome enterprise MSI without enabling the app capture, the correct version installs on the VM. However, when initiating the app capture through the AppVol Management console, it "changes" the version to 69.x.

AppVolumes Version: 2111

aflopez_0-1666276809553.png

0 Kudos
almostIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would use a new machine to capture Chrome. Don't use a machine that might have had old Chrome. Also, don't update an application stack with old Chrome in it, like a collection of web browsers, if that's what you're trying to do. Start with a brand new app stack instance. If you work with an app stack instance that had old Chrome installed then it may be next to impossible to remove - you'll just have to rebuild the stack. I had one with Chrome, Edge, and Firefox and just rebuilt it instead of trying to mess with removing pieces of old Chrome. 

The only other thing you might try is: on the app stack with old Chrome installed already, download the latest MSI for Chrome, install new Chrome, then uninstall new Chrome, then re-install new Chrome. That might remove all the old Chrome artifacts. I think that worked for at least one instance where old Chrome was installed on a separate application stack by accident. 

Good luck. 

0 Kudos