VMware Horizon Community
TTC-Seth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Chrome in an AppStack vs Base Image

I've seen the articles about the need for the registry mod using 4 or 6 but they all appear to apply to having Chrome installed on the base or on the user's Writeable.

What if I want to install Chrome onto it's own appstack?  Is that a dealbreaker?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Ideally, users have requirements to install different extensions based on their type of work. If Chrome is installed on base image or AppStack, it is difficult to update it as there are hundreds of chrome extensions available. That's the main reason for installing chrome on writable volumes so that users can install their own extensions.

If your users do not require different extensions, then you may consider installing Chrome on base or Appstack along with basic extensions that don't modify often.

0 Kudos
TTC-Seth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So, in terms of installing it on a writable, wouldn't that be a great deal of work as user's each have their own writable volume meaning you'd have to install it on each one?

And wouldn't it be possible to install it onto the master image or the app yet allow the users to download addins which would be contained on their writable?  (Or perhaps that's too problematic)

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Yes, installing Chrome on every user's writable volume is a big task. It's easier to inform the users to install Chrome by themselves along with the required extensions/addins.

Chrome in base image and addins in writable volumes may not be a good option.

Writable Volumes UIA behavior with Google Chrome in Base Image

0 Kudos
jmeier75
Contributor
Contributor

I deliver both Chrome and Firefox through an Appstack to the users without issues. We use UEM to backup the Extensions folder for both browsers so that people can retain their plugins.

We use AppVolumes 2.11, UEM 9.1. You could also redirect the Chrome user data directory to their home drive if your infrastructure is fast enough.

Here is our Chrome Flex

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Google

[IncludeFolderTrees]

<LocalAppData>\Google

[ExcludeFolderTrees]

<LocalAppData>\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache

<LocalAppData>\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Media Cache

<LocalAppData>\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage

[ExcludeFiles]

<LocalAppData>\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\ChromeDWriteFontCache

<LocalAppData>\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web Data

0 Kudos
TTC-Seth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is there some way to, possibly, install firefox and chrome onto a writable and then turn that into a template for future deployment?

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

No you can't because it will always end up in the profile of the user and you cannot precreate that for as far as I know.

But as said before, we have Chrome installed in base image (only reason is everyone can use it so why not install it in base) and have UIA + profile writable with the DriveLetter=6 setting. Users are able to install and use addins that they install themselves. Also, if we update the Golden Image and install a new Chrome version (we try to keep up with them Smiley Happy) they can still use the addins.

One thing though, even with this setting (driveletter=6) up until (I believe) version 2.11 it still didn't work correctly. You'd still receive a Temp Directory error.

We are now using 2.12.1 and it works as intended. Could be that 2.11 works as well but we are coming from version 2.9

0 Kudos
TTC-Seth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the continued assistance.  I've added the appropriate regkey to the base image and recomposed but it will not populate a letter in diskmgr.

I've tried setting it to 4 and 6 with no luck.  I'm running version 12.1 and even tested it thinking maybe t he letter was there but hidden.

No dice.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I would try and create an SR with Support.

Normally, within the svservice.log file of the agent you should see something in the lines of what you see down below after the writable is attached.  Do you at least see these lines in your svservice.log?

[2017-05-29 06:07:06.585 UTC] [svservice:P920:T1044] Finished waiting for drive letter D for "\Device\HarddiskVolume4" (called by UpdateMountedVolume)

[2017-05-29 06:07:06.585 UTC] [svservice:P920:T1044] Hiding drive letter D for volume "\Device\HarddiskVolume4" (called by UpdateMountedVolume)

[2017-05-29 06:07:06.585 UTC] [svservice:P920:T1044] Hiding drive letter D in HKLM (called by UpdateMountedVolume)

0 Kudos