VMware Horizon Community
CPhelix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Capturing Applications with User unique license keys

We have captured a Application (Tableau) on AppVols that require user specific license keys. When the user logs in the first time, they enter the key and they are good. The key is retained after logoff, and reboot. When we do recomposes (linked clones) though the key gets lost and the user has to re-enter the key again. We never had this issue using it as a ThinApp. I'm struggling to find out what data is being saved on the non persistant disk and being lost. I'm assuming when we used ThinApp the data was automatically being redirected to their Persistant disk.

The reasoning for moving it to AppVolumes. Every few weeks a new version of the Application is released and we are requested to deploy it. With Appvolumes if you installed a newer version with the old version, you don't have to enter the key when launching the new version (key sharing). With ThinApp's, this doesn't work since we create a new thinapp for each version and the applications are contained individually. Any help or directions or identifying whats being lost after a recompose with the AppVol version and figuring out how to correct it would be appreciated.

AppVol 2.10

Horizon 6.2.1

vSphere 5.5

Win7 OS linked clones

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gaurav_Baghla
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

AFAIK The problem is this regisstry is in the User profiles Stored in C drive after a recompose the c drive is refreshed.

Are you open to test  Writable Volumes and share the Outcome??

Regards Gaurav Baghla Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. https://twitter.com/garry_14

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Gaurav_Baghla
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

AFAIk You would have to configure a profiling solution for this However there is a Scripting task to activate this Automate Tableau Licensing Tasks | Tableau Software

Regards Gaurav Baghla Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. https://twitter.com/garry_14
0 Kudos
CPhelix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Gaurav,

Thanks for the response and a solution.  Sadly this will cause too much admin work for each current and future licensed user in our company.  I think that the license once entered is saved to a registry entry in the HKEY current user. When the Tableau AppVol detaches during a log off, restart, or recompose, the registry entrys are removed. Is there a way to prevent an AppVol from removing this registry?

If not we will probably go back to using ThinApp sadly.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Gaurav_Baghla
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

AFAIK The problem is this regisstry is in the User profiles Stored in C drive after a recompose the c drive is refreshed.

Are you open to test  Writable Volumes and share the Outcome??

0 Kudos
CPhelix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry Gaurav, I should of noted on the original post that we use Persistent disks so the users Profile isn't being lost at recompose.

Error seen after Recompose. (Restarting requires user to re-enter license key)

Tableau Error.png

A file or Reg entry is being lost at recompose. Trouble finding which file or Reg and how to retain it.

0 Kudos
CPhelix
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We enabled Writable Volumes and it now retains the key after restart and recompose.

Thanks Gaurav!

0 Kudos