VMware Horizon Community
VDIMega
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cannot delete AppStacks and Writable Volumes from the App Volumes Manager

Whenever I delete an AppStack/Writable from App Volumes, it does not work.  I made sure to detach the volumes first (verified by looking at the hard drive settings of the relevant VMs) to no avail.  Instead of deleted containers, what I get is two errors:

• in vSphere:  'The operation is not allowed in the current state.'
  • in App Volumes Manager:  "Failed to delete disk '[Store1_Staging_Vol2]cloudvolumes/writable/domain!5C!username.vmdk"'

The workaround I've found is to delete the VMDK in vSphere first from the datastore.  After that, I'm able to delete the objects from the App Volumes Manager without error.

Having to delete twice in two completely separate consoles is a hassle.  How do I fix this?  I'm running vCenter 5.5 (1750787) and App Volumes 2.10.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Are you 100% sure that the writable volume is indeed detached? It seems as if the writable is still attached.

Also, the VSphere account you are using in Appvolumes, does it have permissions to remove disks from the datastore?

0 Kudos
VDIMega
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was able to log into vsphere client and delete a test appstack vmdk with the same exact user account that App Volumes uses.

To make sure that the appstack wasn't attached to any VM, I created a totally new appstack that hadn't even been provisioned or assigned to anyone yet.  I still could not delete it.

Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have never heard of this before. Other than try to use different credentials (for testing purposes go for a full admin account) I have no idea.

0 Kudos
VDIMega
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This problem went away after upgrading from View 6.0.2 to View 6.2.1.

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The problem was likely the ddb.deletable flag was being set on the volumes. This "protects" them from a vmotion operation that would delete them if not protected.

0 Kudos