VMware Horizon Community
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Can't attach user/group assigned stacks when there are already stacks attached via OU to PCs

Hello,

Today I was trying to reduce login times by assigning appstacks directly to computer OU. OU assignments works, but then I'm not able to attach user/group assigned stacks. Also writable volumes are not attached.

Is this expected?

KR

Cristiano

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

To my knowledge it is or/or. So not and and.

if you attach an appstack to a machine you cannot attach it to a user on the same machine.

Writable volume is not possible at all. The problem is that the writable volume always needs to be the first disk that is attached due to it being the only read/write disk in the machine. If you attach appstacks to a machine the writable volume for the user cannot be the first disk attached anymore and it won't record the changes.

I do believe that using a writable volume and appstacks for a machine does work. Though settings will be saved for the machine, not the user. Not 100% sure though about this.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

To my knowledge it is or/or. So not and and.

if you attach an appstack to a machine you cannot attach it to a user on the same machine.

Writable volume is not possible at all. The problem is that the writable volume always needs to be the first disk that is attached due to it being the only read/write disk in the machine. If you attach appstacks to a machine the writable volume for the user cannot be the first disk attached anymore and it won't record the changes.

I do believe that using a writable volume and appstacks for a machine does work. Though settings will be saved for the machine, not the user. Not 100% sure though about this.

sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Ray,

it makes sense. To bad, that would have helped for faster login times

Thank you

Cristiano

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

My guess is (as you can see in the other post) that it wouldn't speed up the log in process that much because the reconfigure takes up to much time.

Attaching tha appstack is that quick that it would only give you a few seconds advantage with very large appstacks. Otherwise the login profit would be marginal.

0 Kudos