VMware Horizon Community
pbastiaans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

C:\Snapvolumestemp batch files tweaks, tricks, coolness

Does anybody have any info/personal experience on the batch files located in C:\snapvolumestemphttps://www.itechtics.com/fix-advanced-search-fields-microsoft-outlook-disabled-grayed/

allvolattached.bat

allvolattached_shellstarted.bat

prestartup.bat

prov_post.bat

shellstart.bat

startup.bat

startup_postsvc.bat

Are they only used for writable volumes?

Does anybody want to share a tweak or trick or something else they did with one of these?

Enjoy the day!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mellicott
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have a look here for the full list, including what context they run as, and when they run.

Horizon Client 5.4.3 Appvol Manager 2.18 Appvol Client 2.18.6 UEM 9.10

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You can use these batch files to execute any kind of action or process during logon and during specific steps of the attachments process of the appstacks and the writable.

So no, it is not only used for writables.

We had an application for example that needed to set a registry key in the user hyve but because appstacks don't record any user setting (no c:\users and no HKCU) we decided to trigger a reg add key in the startup.bat.

These files have been there since the beginning but with the acquisition of Immidio the use of those files are a lot less interesting at least that's my 2 cents. Using these files is quite cumbersome, using UEM is extremely simple (and it always works Smiley Happy Smiley Happy)..

mellicott
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have a look here for the full list, including what context they run as, and when they run.

Horizon Client 5.4.3 Appvol Manager 2.18 Appvol Client 2.18.6 UEM 9.10
pbastiaans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you!

Can I assume that these batch files are executed via local system or elevated?

0 Kudos
pbastiaans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you!

I appreciate the help!

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If you look at the link that mellicot shared you will see that every file is being executed by a different account, either system account (which is off course elevated but cannot do user stuff) and user executed which off course is being used for the fact that Appstacks cannot hold user based information.

This way you can still set user settings although Appstacks cannot hold that info.

I would suggest to use it moderately (or not at all if you have UEM) because there is no way to tell what is located within those batch files other than to attach the appstack (the VMDK) to a basic machine without Appvolumes agent and check it there. Not to mention the tedious way of updating these files. You would need to update the entire appstack, than change the .bat file and seal it again.

pbastiaans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yup, I replied before reading mellicot post...which answered a bunch of questions.

Agreed. Let UEM do as much of the user stuff as possible.

We had an 'emergency' HKLM reg add, and instead of cracking the ref image updating and snapping and publishing. It appeared easier to update our 'CORE' appstack and assign to affected groups. Doing it via the appstack gives us flexibility, as we use our reference image across a couple pools affecting many groups.

Thanks again! Enjoy the day.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm not on this version yet, but allvolsattached related tasks can be done in UEM 9.4, which you can do users based settings there.

VMware User Environment Manager Release Notes 9.4.0

0 Kudos
pbastiaans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks everyone!

I marked the link to the official documentation as the 'Correct Answer' for future travelers...I woulda answered all replies correct if I coulda.

Enjoy the day!

0 Kudos