VMware Horizon Community
EyKeule
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Attach AppStacks immediately (disabled)

Hey,

I've a pretty stupid question. I've used App Volumes with VMDK direct attach for a while. Now I had to build a new environment and I chose in-guest VHD attach.

Everything works fine, except for the immediate attach of AppStacks. This option is grayed out and has a "(disabled)" as a suffix.

So to me this looks like when using VHD in-guest attach immediate attach is not supported, but I cannot find this anywhere in the documentation.

Could someone please tell me if my assumption is correct and maybe even point me to the right doc?

Thanks a lot in advance!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

For the record, I am not using VHD attach because we have VMWare ESX host.

What happens when you do direct attach is that the Appvolumes manager sends the command directly to the ESX host and therfore bypassing the VCenter server. You need to enter an ESX username and password that is the same on all servers.

It could be that HyperV (you are using HyperV?? Or XenServer?) does not support this function and all changes to VM's need to be executed by the manager instead of the host itself.

But this is just guessing around to be honest Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
EyKeule
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, I'm actually using vSphere 6 for VDI, but I might have some physical desktops as well, so having the AppStacks in a file share is the only option.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We are using NFS storage and are able to access it using Windows servers, might be an option??

0 Kudos
EyKeule
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's actually not about accessing the files directly. It's that App Volumes can only be used with non-vSphere and physical workloads via in-guest mounting. This is obviously because you do not have the same APIs with Hyper-V, XenServer or Acropolis like you have with vSphere and of course there are no APIs to attach a disk to a physical system. The problem is that App Volumes can only do in-guest mounting or VMDK direct attach, but not both and you have to configure that in the first run wizard. From the handbook: "Once you configure the hypervisor connection type or select the operation mode, you cannot change it without reinstalling the App Volumes Manager and clearing the App Volumes database.".

All of that is fine with me, but I'd like to understand the ramifications of using in-guest mounting.

0 Kudos
MathieuBruston
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have the same issue and don't found any documentation about it.

Do you solve your problem ?

thanks a lot

Regards

Mathieu

0 Kudos