VMware Horizon Community
TTC-Seth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Assistance with putting an Outlook OST file on its own volume.

Forgive me if this has been asked before but I'm stumped here.

I'm trying to throw the Outlook OST file on a dedicated volume which can be easily ignored by the backup software.

I was able to move the user's profile onto it's own persistent disk but that contains info I actually want to protect whereas the OST is bloat I don't want.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Euhm, this is the Appvolumes forum and you are talking about a persistent disk, or do you mean the writable volume as a persistent disk?

f so, you can only have 1 writable volume per user attached to a specific machine. You cannot have 2 writable volumes attached to one machine so you can't split the OST from the rest of the files.

Is this what you mean?

0 Kudos
Gaurav_Baghla
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

With VMware User Environment Manager (UEM) it is very easy, so the Outlook .PST file is stored outside the user profile and the login times are not affected by this file.This is also supported by Microsoft but with some requirements like: fast connection, minimum Outlook 2010, etc. (Please check this KB article if you want to know more about this: support.microso...en-us/kb/297019)

How can I accomplish this ? Redirected the .PST file, you will only have to save the Outlook profile data that contains the registry information where the .PST file is stored (the location of the .PST file).This can be done by using the default Outlook templates, available in UEM. The actual .PST file itself can be on the network (For example the home drive), so that it doesn’t have to be loaded at logon/logoff.

Some important things to know:

The single .PST file size should not be bigger than 5GB(best recommendation is 3GB). If the .PST file is bigger than 5GB, split it up into multiple .PST files of 5GB each.

we have several customers who are running remote .PST files successfully in their environments together with UEM.

Let me know if you have questions !

Regards Gaurav Baghla Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. https://twitter.com/garry_14
0 Kudos
TTC-Seth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, it's the OST, not the PST I'm  dealing with.  And the days of 3-5GB files are long gone...I'm afraid.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Just create a writable volume template that is large enough to hold the information for the profile and the OST file and assign it to the specific users.

As said, you can only attach 1 writable volume to any given user on any given machine.

You could possibly create multiple writable volumes per user but the Computer prefix (VDI machine name) should be added to the properties of the writable volume when creating it.

0 Kudos
RetchedOne
Contributor
Contributor

This worked great in 2.18, but not in 4.0

Vmware removed the ability to edit the snapvol cfg's in the same manner.

I was able to edit a writable template to only visualize "c:\outlookdata" and use a GPO to point outlook to this folder for it's OST.

This ability is gone in 4.0

Doesn't matter what writable template you try, or how you edit the snap vol (in its new location)

They removed ability - "Virtualize" and "virtualize_registry" both are not supported anymore.

My writable snapvol.cfg used to only contain "virtualize=\OUTLOOKDATA"

This is no longer possible.

0 Kudos
RetchedOne
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos