VMware Horizon Community
RT-FA
Contributor
Contributor

Appvolumes 4 issue - User Writable contains lot more random folders than configured

Hello the Vmware Community, 

We are currently migrating from AppVolumes2 to AppVolumes4 and we have a big issue with the user writable. It contains a lot of random program files and windows folders that shoudln't be there. 

In AppVolumes2 we have user writables (uia only) and they are empty , they only contains the OST file (configured in the DEM) and the C:\Temp folder (configured in the snapvol.cfg) and everything works fine for all the connected users.

Now in AppVolumes4 the new users writables (uia only) we created contains also the OST and the Temp folder (as configured in the new DEM and new snapvol.cfg) but they also contains a lot of program files , windows, and other random folders causing various issues . For example if any program have one of their folders captured in the writable this program will crash on the 2nd launch saying his folders aren't accesible . 

We followed the VmWare AppVol4 documentation on how to exclude folders from the writable by manipulating the snapvol.cfg in the master image (customs config folders etc...) but it doesn't work , even with all the exclusion rules the folder are still being captured and created in the user writable.

We only managed to have Firefox correctly working and not having anymore his folders captured by the writable by manipulating the entries in the HookInjectionWhiteList in the windows registry , but others softwares (MS Teams, Gimp, etc...) even with the same manipulation still have issues.

Does anyone had the same issues in AppVolumes v4 ? 

Best regards !

6 Replies
PaulLondon90
Contributor
Contributor

Also having the exact same problem. Trying to do just a new writeable for OST and it's syncing every **bleep** folder in the root. I am pulling my hair out trying to get this to exclude correctly.

I've tried custom config files, default config files both on the volume and base image. They don't take effect and in most cases break the logons and don't attach properly.

The documentation is absolute crap on the best of days but for app volumes it's probably the worst I have seen.

0 Kudos
PaulLondon90
Contributor
Contributor

I got this to work after support ticket with vmware, you don't manipulate the master image for UIA's. Documentation seems to contradict itself, but if you go to https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-App-Volumes/2103/app-volumes-admin-guide/GUID-BD9D1BF7-293A-491E-A...it does say "Note:There is no support for adding custom configuration files to Writable Volumes on the base image."

You need to do it at the volume "C:\SnapVolumesTemp\MountPoints\{Writable Volume Guid}\{Writable Guid}\Config\writable"

My config looks like

"

writable_type=uia

################################################################

# File system

virtualize=\

# Registry

exclude_registry=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE

exclude_registry=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\COMPONENTS

exclude_registry=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM

exclude_uwv_file=%USERPROFILE%

exclude_path=\ProgramData

exclude_path=\"Program Files"

exclude_path=\"Program Files (x86)"

exclude_path=\Users

exclude_path=\Windows

# This should always be the last line in the policy

os=any"

You'll have to create the config and writable folders, then create your snapvol.cfg inside with config like the above. This only applies to that 1 volume. So if you want to apply it to all the UIA's, zip up that config folder and upload it to all writeables using the AppVol admin console

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
blue_calx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

I have some questions about this. How do you exactly view what is on a writable volume (UIA only). If I view it via C:\snapvolumestemp it looks like the whole file system is on the user writable volume.

Also with this config, won't excluding program files not capture applications that users installed themselves?

0 Kudos
PaulLondon90
Contributor
Contributor

For us, the UIA is not being used/designed to be used by the users to install applications. It's meant to be used purely to capture the Outlook OST file. Hence the exclusions.

And yes, I see the whole file system too, I queried this, it's just emulating it apparently....pass

It all feels a little paper cup and string

0 Kudos
blue_calx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If that is all you use app volumes for then you should ditch it and look into fslogix containers.

0 Kudos
PaulLondon90
Contributor
Contributor

We use app volumes for app stacks too. But I take your point about fslogix, I will look into that for just the OST volume, see if we can get some improvement that way.

0 Kudos