VMware Horizon Community
Natestack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Appvolumes 4.0 packages change operating system

Hi All,

This is random so packaged an application and its put down to Windows 10x86.

So on 2.X easy fix

Select application

Click Edit

Under Operating Systems tick the box.

Now under 4.0

Click Edit

can do everything else except for changing or ticking the box to run on other versions of windows

Am i missing something

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VirtualSpence
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There are actually a few features applicable to 2.x AppStacks which are not yet available with v4 Packages. See Considerations before migrating from AppStacks to Packages​ for more information. The ability to select different operating systems for the Package is on the list:
Option to edit the type of Operating System to which an AppStack is attached.

Josh Spencer Staff Architect – Technical Marketing End User Computing, VMware, Inc.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Apart from the fact that every OS is different and I guess there is a reason for VMware to do a thing like this, there is a workaround which is fully unsupported bit still Smiley Happy.

Here's a how to on a bog post.

https://vdr.one/app-volumes-4-0-app-stack-os-mount-hacking/

Still, I wouldn't suggest doing this. We once tried to attach W7 appstacks to a W10 machine. Althought it worked it wasn't the best decision I ever made Smiley Happy Smiley Happy.

0 Kudos
Natestack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Ray for the hack.

Just strange as i used a windows 10 x64bit and the stack (Package) was x86.

Did the same application 7zip on another windows 10x64 and that was x64bit this is crazy.

Seems its a little all over the place hope they fix this issue to at least have the ability to change Windows version X64/86 win 7 etc

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

My guess is that a lot of the features that were already there in 2.18 will be coming back but they didn't make the same mistake as with version 3.0. This was deliverd to public with a lot of features but didn't work at all. Off course Appvolumes 4 will have some bugs in it, it is a new version but for as far as I can see now it does seem to be quite stable.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm hoping they add it back, going from 7 to 10 like you mentioned caused issues, but going from 7 to 2012 worked great. 10 1709 and below I believe would work along 2016 and 1809 and above should work with 2019. Honestly anything 10 should work with 2016 and 2019. I've actually never used a 2012 build machine because it worked without any issues, and it seems redundant now to do both. Its one of the reasons I'm holding at 2.18 along with some other feature I know are coming back, its just this one I haven't heard about yet.

0 Kudos
Natestack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi sjesse,

My issue is not even from Windows 7 to 10. If I package up an application on Windows 10 it defaults to x86 and I am unable to modify it to x64.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I would suggest raising a ticket with VMware for this. It could well be that this is a bug.

0 Kudos
VirtualSpence
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There are actually a few features applicable to 2.x AppStacks which are not yet available with v4 Packages. See Considerations before migrating from AppStacks to Packages​ for more information. The ability to select different operating systems for the Package is on the list:
Option to edit the type of Operating System to which an AppStack is attached.

Josh Spencer Staff Architect – Technical Marketing End User Computing, VMware, Inc.
0 Kudos
Natestack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi VirtualSpence,

Noticed the new version of AppVolumes 4.0.1.

Still didn’t give the ability to select different operating systems.

could you advise when this feature will be made available for AppVolumes 4 packagers.

Thanks,

Nate

0 Kudos
VirtualSpence
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I'm sorry Natestack, but I'm unable to comment on roadmap items. What I can tell you is your request has been captured and the Product Management team is aware of it. Thank you, and please keep the feedback coming!

0 Kudos