VMware Horizon Community
jahos_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Appvolumes 2.6 issue

I am testing appvolumes 2.6. I first upgraded appvolumes managers, choose not to overwrite database and then upgraded connection brokers.

As soon as I install the appvolumes agent 2.6 in my virtual desktops, my appstacks get attached, but it seems that I don't have network connection for those appstacks anymore.

Very strange.

for example: internet explorer installed in image. I can surf on the internet, no problem.

Google chrome is installed in an appstack: no internet connection.

All applications which require network connection do not work anymore.

When I revert back to appvolumes agent 2.5.2, all those applications work again.

Is this a bug? Am I doing something wrong?

At this point I cannot proceed. I did not yet try to reinstall all appstacks, but that is not what I want to do neither.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
JHT_Seattle
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is there a recommended way to "update" the stacks themselves in order to be compatible with the newer agents?  That's not a really ideal scenario, having to update the stacks for each agent release, definitely not something I would have anticipated breaking stack functionality. I don't want to run into a situation where we have stacks built on 2.6 that only work with the 2.6 agent, but where the 2.6 agent doesn't work with our existing 2.5 stacks. Am I understanding you correctly?

0 Kudos
jahos_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That is exactly what I want to know as well. In the documentation there is nothing mentioned about this.

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I removed the former comment as it was not entirely accurate.

To clarify Appstacks created from 2.5.x are forward compatible. There may be additional features introduced in a newer version that the older AppStacks may not offer. However the Appstacks themselves are supported up to the next major release. If there are issues with a specific app or you are unable to update the Agent in a large pool an older Agent can be used with a newer Manager.

0 Kudos
rlitch1978
Contributor
Contributor

I have this same issue.  Has anyone figured this out?

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

‌Are you mixing appstack versions attached at the same time?

0 Kudos
rlitch1978
Contributor
Contributor

We started with appvolume 2.6 and none of the browsers would go out to the internet once attached.   Then we upgraded to 2.9 and get the same results, also have tried this with Chrome or Firefox being the only appstack attached.   We have had a ticket open with VMware for over two months now and can't get a answer.

Any advice is welcome, Thanks!

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The question was more around if you have 2.6 created AppStacks mixed with 2.9 or are using a 2.6 appstack with 2.9 agent.

Can you do a TCPView and see if some other process is blocking port 80? Firefox and Chrome are the first apps we do and test and are the go to demos... Should work quite well.

TCPView for Windows

0 Kudos
rlitch1978
Contributor
Contributor

appstacks.JPG

Thanks for the reply Jason.  I think this is what you are talking about.  It does appear that we are capturing with 2.6 and using the 2.9 Agent.   How can I upgrade the capture to 2.9.  The VM's we are capturing on have the 2.9 Agent.  Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
rlitch1978
Contributor
Contributor

Resolved - We had a USB encryption software on our VM's that was blocking the appstack from getting to the Internet.   "Safend"

Once removed all worked as expected.

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

That is based on the templates being used. If you go to the configuration tab and the storage sub tab there should be an import template button. That is all you need Smiley Wink

There is no way to update the existing appstacks to higher version other than the replacement of the policy file. Do note that they are forward compatable in that you can use a 2.6 and 2.7 AppStack with a 2.9 agent and Manager.

0 Kudos