VMware Horizon Community
Suman1209
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Appvolume 2.12.1 +office 2016 +visio+project -

Hi We are in a process of implementing Office 216 + Appstacks (2.12.1) , Installing the core office application in one appstack and project and visio on other appstack

when user logs in and lauches the projectc or visio , the office start the " Office configuration windows" Post that application work fine.

• Would like to know is core office is suggest to put in the base (master Image)?
  • I have followed the ( Installing and using Microsoft Office Products with VMware App Volumes 2.x (2146035) | VMware KB ) to capture the Appstack.
  • Capture process is completed successfully with out any error and KMS Activation happens with out any issue.
  • We have notices some times when user logs in we see a "svoffice" pop up window.
  • We have notices if use only office appstack 2016 without visio or project works fine , with out  any error.
  • Users Starts to see the configuration windows as soon as visio and project appstacks are atached.

Does any one faced this issue and is there any solution for this. (We are uding the office 2016 Pro Plus ) and not office 365 2016.

Regards Sumanth VCP7-DTM7 , DCV , NV, VCAP7-DTM Design If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful
35 Replies
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

Hi,

I will do app stack as below

1) core bits of office [for people who only needs office]

2) Office + Project + Visio

other option is if you are moving office to gold image.

You have to create project + Visio on top of provision VM which contains office.

Make sure if you are using  standard office you have to use standard Visio and Project, please make sure you are using same level of versions [in your case it should be "pro plus"]

Thank you,

Vkmr.

VDINinja311
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In our environment we installed Office 2016 on the Master Image. Then have an AppStack for Project 2016 and Visio 2016 for those users that need them. No issues running this way, ran this way with Office 2013 as well. Decided this was the best for our environment as everyone will need the base Office 2016 products.

Suman1209
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the Response,

Currently, we have tested the office 2016 core on the appstack and office 2016 project on other appstack, these two combinations are working with out any issues.

currently evaluating the visio part, will update back once we have the definite answer.

VDINinja311

Regards Sumanth VCP7-DTM7 , DCV , NV, VCAP7-DTM Design If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful
0 Kudos
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can I ask how you got Office 2016 in the master image with an appstack of Visio 2016 working?  I have app volumes 2.12.1 and whenever I do this method when you log into the desktop all office products fail to launch with essentially a dll error.

The the provisioning VM need to have office 2016 installed to match the master image?  Does this look correct for a config file?

<Configuration>

<Add OfficeClientEdition="32" Channel="Monthly">

<Product ID="VisioProRetail">

<Language ID="en-us" />

</Product>

</Add>

<Updates Enabled="FALSE" UpdatePath=""/>

<Display Level="Full" AcceptEULA="TRUE" />

<Property Name="AUTOACTIVATE" Value="1" />

<Property Name="SharedComputerLicensing" Value="1" />

<Logging Level="Standard" Path="%programdata%\Appdeploy\Office2016" />

</Configuration>

0 Kudos
VDINinja311
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

jmatz135

Correct, our provisioning machine has the same base Office 2016 install as our Master Image.

No idea on the config you posted though, as we installed Visio 2016 from the GUI via setup.exe when provisioning.

0 Kudos
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Does this really work?  From the documentation it says "Microsoft does not support two separate Click-To-Run packages on the same computer.  My understanding is that if you install on the base image Office Pro Plus 2016 that is one Click-To-Run install.  Then on an appstack you install Visio Pro Plus which is a second Click-To-Run.  Every time I try this when I apply the appstack to a machine all Office products then fail to launch.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

Can you please check manually the versions of your office bit's on parent image and the version of your vision app satck?

also please see this thread "Issue with Outlook and visio configuration pop-up on each launch of application" and run this command "dir /x /a" in command prompt on user desktop

Thank you.

jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Office version is 16.0.8431.2079  Visio version is the same, they are literally installed from the same Click-To-Run package just using a different configuration file for each.

Office:

<Configuration>

<Add OfficeClientEdition="32" Channel="Deferred">

<Product ID="O365ProPlusRetail">

<ExcludeApp ID="Groove" />

<ExcludeApp ID="OneDrive" />

<ExcludeApp ID="Lync" />

<Language ID="en-us" />

</Product>

</Add>

</Configuration>

Visio:

<Configuration>

<Add SourcePath="C:\Temp\Visio_2016" OfficeClientEdition="32" Channel="Monthly">

<Product ID="VisioProRetail">

<Language ID="en-us" />

</Product>

</Add>

</Configuration>

If I install Office onto the base image and then capture Visio into the appstack and then apply it to a base image with Office all Office products will be completely broken.  If I install both Office + Visio into an appstack and apply it to a base image without Office everything works as expected, but that isn't really the route we wanted to take.

Screenshot of them both installed:

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

very interesting...

one more try, now use golden image as provision VM and do visio app stack [I should work]

question, are you using multiple languages for visio or office bits?

Regards

VDINinja311
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

jmatz135

Soo a colleague reminded me that in fact we did provision the Visio/Project AppStack from the Master Image as VKMR said. I completely forgot about it. That might be your issue.

jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hmm, I've done a lot of testing and I think I have actually done that, but I can't say for sure so I'll have to try that out to see.

As for the multiple languages part, the language is selected in the configuration file:

<Language ID="en-us" />

This is set the same always.

0 Kudos
VDINinja311
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Also noticed your base Office 2016 install says O365 Plus in Programs and Features. Don't know if an issue or not, but our base Office 2016 install says "Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016". What ISO's are you using to install? These are the ISO's we used.

Base Office 2016:

pastedImage_0.png

Visio/Project 2016:

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

That could be it.  Where do you even get those though, we just have access to the click-to-run package that downloads the software for you?

0 Kudos
VDINinja311
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We get those .ISO's from Microsoft MSDN site.

0 Kudos
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

pastedImage_0.png

The DVD version on MSDN no longer matches the iso you have, but it does actually install and say Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016 in Add Remove Programs.  I'm pretty sure I already tested everything with this version as well, but I'll test this again just to make sure.

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

Perfect, now you got appropriate iso's

Use your parent image and create visio, visio+project, project app stack's and provide us your feedback Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

So now I get a different error.  It says "Something went wrong and the application cannot start" but this is actually a message from the office products itself.  So some progress.  I think maybe it is a licensing issue so I'm going to play around with the configuration a bit.  Unfortunately there are no messages in the eventvwr.

0 Kudos
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

So, first of all there is nothing appropriate about those isos.  They are deprecated.  Second, the click-to-run package should be appropriate seeing as that is the method that Microsoft uses.  Third, I can't actually configure the DVD iso install package, it just installs everything without using any of the license configuration which means it is unusable in a non-persistent pool since the license isn't automatically obtained at launch. 

Also, it doesn't matter.  As soon as I add an appstack with Visio in it to a machine that has Office 2016 installed I get the following error:

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

Are you not using KMS for licences?

and also try to test by removing user office profile.