Appvol upgrade 2.15 to 2.18 new appstack or update appstack client disconnect issue
Was wondering if anyone experience any disconnect issues during Windows login screen after you update a 2.15 appstack to 2.18 and assigning it to a user? Basically, when I use the latest Horizon Client (Blast, PcoIP) and HTML I see the windows spinning wheel for a second and then it freezes and it disconnects after 15-30 seconds.It happens on both client and web. The session is active on the connection server but I just can't connect to it with the client or web. I'm actually able to resume the session when I login to Vsphere Console and coincidentally I can login with the client when I change display protocol to RDP.
I then created a new 2.18 appstack and assigned it to the same two test users and everything worked. I updated the same appstack and it worked but for some reason when I update the same appstack a 3rd time, I experience the same problem.
I tested with the 2.17.1 provisioning agent by first updating the 2.15 appstack and that worked. I then created a new 2.17.1 appstack and updated 3 times and it worked too. I have better luck when I install 2.17.1 agent on the provisioning machine. For whatever reason, HTML, Blast, and PCoip disconnects during login when I either update an update an appstack or create new appstask with the latest agent and I update it 3 times. Really weird issue.
I somehow was able to recreate this on my test environment. I started out with appvolumes 2.15 and upgraded to 2.18 and was able to reproduce the same issue.