VMware Horizon Community
jlstraat
Contributor
Contributor

Appstack on demand change startup directory?

I am playing around with the new 2212 appvolumes to create a appstack on demand with the new startup. However the captures application Glims (medical software) has this startup sequence.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\CloudVolumes\Agent\svservice.exe" app run 64460c8c-00d7-4c6c-aa10-8825ac282f11 c:\glims10project\bin\prowin32.exe

But this also sets the startup folder to c:\glims10project\bin folder and it should be c:\glims10project.

Already created a shortcut in VMware dem with the start up folder correctly configured but that is ignored by agent / appstack. 

Simple programs that don't need a alternative startup folder work as designed. Any help would be appreciated

EDIT: 
Right setting a working directory is pretty useless when fireup a on-demand appstack. I created a small posh script to deliver the appstack instead of run it. Script is below.

Set-Location "C:\program files (x86)\cloudvolumes\agent"
.\svservice.exe app deliver {APP GUID}
Set-Location C:\Glims10project 

# Location of our ini file within this application is moved to a network share. 

C:\glims10project\bin\prowin32.exe -basekey ini -ininame W:/Glims10project/progress.ini -p gp_prun -param "-1 be/mips/ablframework/gui/start" -assemblies assemblies -preloadCLR

0 Kudos
6 Replies
kmgp
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Are you looking at Published app on demand or On-demand app?

GURU

Views expressed in here are my own.
0 Kudos
jlstraat
Contributor
Contributor

published app on demand, we used the manual and added the appvolumes url to the environment and then choose the right application. What is the difference?  with published app on demand or on-demand app.

PS: I now publish it as application and then greate a global entitlement.  If i select a shortcutlink the application will not use the right startup directory.

0 Kudos
kmgp
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Logically, published apps on demand is for the RDS scenario. Horizon administrator makes horizon connection server aware of App Volumes manager. Then he/she will be able to make application pool from applications read from App Volumes manager and entitle this application pool to users at the connection server. When a user with such a entitlement logs in to the Horizon server from a client and launches the application, then the attach of the Virtual application shall happen to the RD Server and the application shall be delivered to user.

On-Demand app provides a new facility where short cuts of the entitled virtual applications are shown at logon at Start menu / Desktop but the attach of the disk is postponed till the end user on a VDI desktop launches the shortcut / application.

GURU

0 Kudos
jlstraat
Contributor
Contributor

I know how it should work we configured all the right stuf already and can select the shortcuts. When the user launches the application the appstack should mount to the RDS server. But that is not happening. When we logon to the desktop of the RDS server the appstack get's mounted and the program launches. Already have a ticket open at vmware for troubleshooting. To be continued. 

0 Kudos
kmgp
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

You might want to consider this.

Goto connection Server -> Servers -> App Volumes Managers -> Select the App Volumes Manager (Click on Radio button associated with the AppVolumes Manager -> Click Push Certificate.

GURU

0 Kudos
jlstraat
Contributor
Contributor

Did it although it is no nessecarely cause we don't use privat certs but didn't help either. Will see what vmware engineer can figure out 🙂 

0 Kudos