IHAC using Windows 10 1703 SHB and Office 2016, with Horizon 7.4, UEM 9.3 along with AppVolumes 2.13.3 anytime an appstack gets assigned to a user (notepad, adobe, etc) the user is not able to start any Microsoft Office Suite product like Outlook, Word or Excel it gives them the attached error about not finding the license for it. We look at the Software Protection Service and the service has not started. If you unassign the appstack then the Office product will Open and the Software Protection Service will start or if you start the Software Protection Service while the appstack is still attached then Office will work then too. We have been troubleshooting this for the last couple of days to no luck. Has anyone run into this issue before thanks in advance
Are you using one appstack or many? Can you verify that Software Protection Service is not disabled on the VM provisioning machine? I noticed that any slight difference with your provisioning machine and your gold image can cause some weird things to happen. For example, on m gold image Windows firewall is enabled and for some reason it was disabled on the provisioning machine. When the appstack attached itself on the gold image, it resulted in the firewall being disabled. I did not want that, i had to update the provisioning machine and I had to make sure that the firewall was enabled like it was on the gold image.
Is the office 2016 suite installed on the base VM or in the appstack? Also, what licensing are you using for Office 2016 i.e. are you using volume licensing or the cloud licensing/federated licensing? Are you using the Click to run installer or the msi?
So today we are not getting that error anymore what we did is to make sure we open up an office application on the PM to make sure the software protection service is running then creating the appstack and it seems to work not sure if this is a valid fix but it seems to do the job so far i will continue to monitor and verify. Thanks for your help.
We have the same issue.
windows 10 1709 instant clones
currently we have core applications eg office, browsers etc in a. App stack which is assigned to the user for now.
for some reason I have this plus another application stacks attached to the user and boom office no longer licensed.
now this was working perfectly fine on windows 10 1607 composed and instant.
so one way around this is to directly assigned the office stack to the machine (OU) level and have other application assigned to the user all works WTF
this was working on windows 1607.
So any ideas ?
Ok some info here after having the issue found that if we packaged on a 1709 build for some reason it would make office unlicened.
so I made another machine 1607 did the same package and office is all good and licensed not sure why but here is the workaround for now.
We have the same issue.
Servers: Horizon 7.5 & App volumes 2.14 writable volumes (no App Stack)
pool vdi 1. golden image = windows 10 1803, MS office 2016, other soft, VMware-viewagent-7.5, app volumes agent 2.12.1
pool vdi 2. golden image = windows 10 1803, MS office 2016, other soft, VMware-viewagent-7.5, app volumes agent 2.14.0
we have usersprofiles in writable volumes version: 2.12, 2.13.0, 2.13.3
profile 2.12 working in pool vdi 1 and pool vdi 2
profile 2.13.0, 2.13.3 working in pool vdi 1, but not working in pool vdi 2 (microsoft office can't find your license for this application. a repair attempt was unsuccessful or was cancelled. microsoft ofice will now exit) herewith service sppvsc not starting (access denied)
ps - service sppvsc working in pool vdi 1
how to fix profiles 2.13 ?
Same / similar problem here.
W10 1709 Instant Clone
O365 C2R with passthrough authentication installed into its own app stack OR located on the master image fails to trigger the Software Protection Service every time a new clone is accessed. Manually starting the service works and applications launch successfully.
If I attach a writable volume with uia+profile Software Protection Service triggers and office applications launch successfully on new clones.
Which lead's me to believe there is a setting or a file I can roam with UEM but I haven't tracked it down yet.
Just an update to my above post... it ultimately had nothing to do with the Office App stack or my instant clone.
This got tracked down into a different app stack containing a single heavily customized application we use here. If that specific App Volume was attached Software Protection service would not automatically start or trigger... however I was always able to successfully start the service manually while it was attached.
I'm haven't been able to figure out why this is happening to this specific app stack however a simple functional workaround has been to start the service as a logon task for the users who receive that stack.