VMware Horizon Community
Dempseyy93
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Application Load Time Increase Per Stack Applied

Hi,

I am currently facing an issue where users have been experiencing longer load times for a specific application.

I've replicated their current assigned stacks on my profile and am experiencing the issue as well.

To identify the problem, I've unassigned all stacks but the essentials, and have timed the loading phase for the problem app.

What I have noticed is that the loading time increases dependent on how many app stacks are assigned.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought additional stacks would only affect the users login time, not the applications themselves?

Regards,

Matt

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dempseyy93
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The issue was fixed after a weeks worth of correspondence with the devs.

The dev modified some java files that needed to be unpacked in a different order than the original script executed.

Loading times dropped significantly after the change and the applications performance and freezing issues have since disappeared.

All is well for the time being. Touch wood.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Does the application query the registry at launch time?  I've found that applications or even just actions in applications that query the registry will take a long time with appstacks attached and the more that you attach the worse it gets.  This is probably due to the fact that for each appstack attached essentially a whole copy of HKLM is created and inserted into the registry which means that for each appstack you make the amount of registry queries increase by 100%

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

This is probably due to the fact that for each appstack attached essentially a whole copy of HKLM is created and inserted into the registry which means that for each appstack you make the amount of registry queries increase by 100%

This used to be the case (and still will have some effect on startup time of applications) but with version (I believe) 2.13.2 they introduced reverse_replicate.

What ti does is during logon (or whenever you would like it to be, it can be set) it merges teh registry keys of all appstacks upfront making the startup of the applciations quicker.

The first version where they introduced it this was done during logon so if you would have an application like ArcGis it would mean a logon time that could be 90 sconds longer. They than changed it to do the reverse replicate after logon.

0 Kudos
jmatz135
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

That's true of most application launches but any application that queries the registry is still very slow.  Examples: In Microsoft Word or Excel launch it and then go to the insert tab and then select Object from the ribbon.  Without an appstack attached this will take 2-3 seconds.  With ANY appstack attached this will take 10-15 seconds.  Another one is Event Viewer, if you launch event viewer and click on any of the logs it takes 2-3 seconds to show the events (this depends on how many events you have, but I clear mine on the base image before snapshot).  Now attach ANY appstack and watch that time increase to 20-25 seconds. 

My point was this application load that the OP has probably queries the registry at launch and thus is slowed way down when an appstack is attached or if it is in an appstack.

Dempseyy93
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The issue was fixed after a weeks worth of correspondence with the devs.

The dev modified some java files that needed to be unpacked in a different order than the original script executed.

Loading times dropped significantly after the change and the applications performance and freezing issues have since disappeared.

All is well for the time being. Touch wood.

0 Kudos
riccardoklinger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We are running V4 of VMWAre/Appstack now in 2022. We are still facing these issues with long loading times in Excel with the Object insert (takes around 15s) and ArcGIS/ArcMAP performs even worse as it works with the registry and com classes like hell. 

We see a performance drop of factor 150 and we haven't changed functionality at all. Reading times (regEnumKey) operations are far rto slow... any idea?

0 Kudos