VMware Horizon Community
run2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Appcapture not working on win10

Hi All,

We're just trying out AppVolumes but AppCapture doesn't seem to work on Windows 10 for me, running it from an elevated command prompt, logged on as administrator, UAC disabled. Have tried it on an ESXi hosted VM, Hyper-V VM, physical machine and it won't work on any of them!  The command I am using is appcapture.exe /new test, this works just fine on an ESXi hosted Win7 VM.

Win10 version is 20H2 19042.928

AppVolumes version is 4.4.0

Appcapture version is 4.4.0.73

The VHD seems to be cloned and mounted successfully, I can see it in the filesystem and in the disk management MMC.  It gets as far as "INFO: waiting to become capture-ready:" but then times out after 300 seconds, with the following output:

"ERROR: disk-identify event not signaled after 300 secs"

"ERROR: program failed in install mode CmdNew (Error: 0x0)

Any advice would be great! Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
run2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi @julatoski ,

As mentioned before, these were clean machines that never had the Agent installed only the Tools.

To close this thread out and for anyone who is having the same issue, our packaging team investigated this issue and found that the driver in the Tools MSI is not correct.  It is different to the driver in the Agent package that does work, therefore the fix for us was to copy the driver from the Agent package into C:\Windows\System32 on the machine that has the Tools installed and then it works.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AppMod
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@julatoski Have you seen this error message before?

Detail above:

"ERROR: disk-identify event not signaled after 300 secs"

"ERROR: program failed in install mode CmdNew (Error: 0x0)

0 Kudos
julatoski
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I have not.  You might want to verify svdriver is running.  Also ensure you are installing on a new machine, not one running App Volumes Agent.

Jeff Ulatoski
Product Line Manager, App Volumes
0 Kudos
run2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply, I can confirm that all of the machines used for testing are new machines which have never had App Volumes installed on them before.

You are correct, the svdriver is running on the working Win7 box and it is not running on any of the win10 boxes.   What is the process to get this working?

I tried loading the driver manually from an administrative command prompt using the command 'fltmc load svdriver' but get an error message that "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file..." When I check the svdriver.sys file it does appear to be correctly signed until September 2021.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
AppMod
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@julatoski Can you advise on the message dated 04-28-2021 please ?

0 Kudos
julatoski
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This is automatically done via the installer.  You can only install either the Agent or Tools on a machine.  Make sure they are not both installed.  

If you are still having issues, I recommend you reach out to our Global Support Services team to assist you.

Jeff Ulatoski
0 Kudos
run2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi @julatoski ,

As mentioned before, these were clean machines that never had the Agent installed only the Tools.

To close this thread out and for anyone who is having the same issue, our packaging team investigated this issue and found that the driver in the Tools MSI is not correct.  It is different to the driver in the Agent package that does work, therefore the fix for us was to copy the driver from the Agent package into C:\Windows\System32 on the machine that has the Tools installed and then it works.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
julatoski
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @run2

I'm glad you were able to find a solution to the problem.  We identified an issue in the ISO creation process for App Volumes Tools.  We have remedied the issue and updated the 2103.1 (4.4.1) binary.  It is now available for download as VMware_App_Volumes_v4.4.1.4_12052021.ISO.

Thank you for helping to identify this issue.

Jeff Ulatoski
run2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi @julatoski 

Do you have a direct link for the download, the link on the trial page doesn't seem to work? The version number on the webpage doesn't seem to be displayed correctly so maybe this is the issue (see attached screenshot).

Thanks again,

0 Kudos