VMware Horizon Community
rnapiza
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

AppVolumes and UIA+Profiles deprecation???

can someone one confirm or refute this from the following post:

Writable volume change with profile

Writable Volumes Profile and UIA+ Profile Templates support: From App Volumes 2.9, the support for Writable Volumes Profile and UIA+ Profile Templates will be deprecated. Cusotmers on App Volumes 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.9 (and any future 2.x) versions using Profile Only or UIA + Profile Writable Volumes Templates will continue to receive support for bug fixes through hot patches. Although using App Volumes writable volumes for managing end user profiles has provided huge benefits over traditional profile management solution with their speed of delivery and reduced IOPS, VMware UEM is a new paradigm in user environment management. This is the first step in integrating VMware App Volumes and VMware UEM to provide a more agile, flexible and mobile workspace for your end users. Support for Writable Volumes UIA templates will continue in the future releases. In addition to many profile management solution, you can use the following to manage users' profile instead of writable volumes:

• VMware UEM with Folder Redirection
  • VMware View Persona
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Man this has been a while.

When this was posted it threw out a complete tantrum and was withdrawn. This was posted when VMWare acquired UEM and they wanted to get rid of the writable with the profile settings in it.

This has long been confirmed not to be removed but you do see a shift in what VMWare says would be best practice, namely use UEM for user settings and use appvolumes for application delivery and the writable for manually user installed applications.

We still use UIA + Profile and to be honest I don't think this will change in near future.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

I find it odd if they drop it. I watched this after they posted last year

https://www.simonlong.co.uk/blog/2017/10/19/the-secret-sauce-behind-vmwares-internal-horizon-desktop...

If I remember right they want to save the actual profile in writable volumes, but use UEM to manage the per application settings. That way if the writeable gets hosed they could just create a new one and the user would just have to reconfigure anything not setup in UEM. I've stayed away from writeables but looking at 2.14 they are adding features that make me want to try again.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Believe me they will not drop in in near future.. They are only working on improvements on Writable volumes. Most of them should already have been here in the first place but still better late than never Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
rnapiza
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've had a call with VMware support the other day, and they did confirm that UIA +Profiles aren't going away, but they did say, the preferred method for profiles is to use UEM.

0 Kudos