VMware Horizon Community
Dreday37
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

AppVolumes Startup Error

Good morning everyone,

After installing AppVolumes, when trying to launch the program and we get to the website(using Google Chrome), we get an Startup Failure error, unable to start App Volumes man 28000(18456) [Microsoft] [ODBC SQL Server Driver] [SQL Server] Login Failed for user, appvolumes. We can successfully connect to the ODBC connection when we test it using the SQL Server database username/password but it just won't connect when trying to access AppVolumes for the first time. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dre

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Normally when you try to install Appvolumes manager it will try and create a database on the SQL server you selected. Because it tries to do this with a computer account (the service start as local service I believe) you should make sure that the computer account has correct permissions. I would remove the manager installation, reinstall it and select overwrite database if available. Normally this should do the trick.

Only do this if this is an empty database!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Normally when you try to install Appvolumes manager it will try and create a database on the SQL server you selected. Because it tries to do this with a computer account (the service start as local service I believe) you should make sure that the computer account has correct permissions. I would remove the manager installation, reinstall it and select overwrite database if available. Normally this should do the trick.

Only do this if this is an empty database!!

0 Kudos
Dreday37
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your answer. Now in regards to the permissions that you are saying for the computer account, will these permissions be set for the SQL Server, vCenter or the actual server itself?

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

In regards to your original question on the SQL server. In Appvolumes you need to a vCenter and could also add an ESX server local account, you do not need that during installation, those permissions.

0 Kudos
Dreday37
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just to clarify, do you mean the account that we use to install AppVolumes also needs to have permissions to the AppVolumes database in SQL?

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

No, the machine you install the manager on needs to have permissions on the database, at least that's what we found out. The service is being started by the local system account and thus the machine needs to have those permissions. What happened here (no idea if the same thing still happens) is that when trying to install without proper permissions it will create an account on the SQL server for the machine account but can't set permissions on the newly created database. When then removed the manager, set permissions for the computer account on the DB and reinstalled.

0 Kudos