VMware Horizon Community
AppMod
Contributor
Contributor

AppVolumes Import not working

Import an Application to App Volumes (vmware.com)

This documented link and procedure within is not working - is there an updated process ? 

The only workaround we found is to import using a template and creating the metadata file

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Flares
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever find a resolution to this as I’m having a similar issue?

0 Kudos
almostIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The import method works only once you've moved the application packages to the new datastore location used by the new instance of App Volumes Manager. 

You can copy the packages from one location to another using WinSCP or SSH from the ESXi hosts. There's documentation on how to do this from VMWare and blogs somewhere out there on the world wide internet. 

The following below worked for me, because each "machine manager" instance (vCenter) had access to a central storage where an app volume datastore already existed. 

Old version 4, 2006

New version 4, 2303

On each version, add the relevant machine managers. I'm not sure if it matters if the machine managers (vCenter) are on the same domain or not. Once they're registered, on the NEW manager, go to storage and edit the datastore location to match that of the OLD manager (the one with your current app stacks). Then click rescan. It should, if I remember correctly, automatically start to populate the inventory, but if it doesn't, this is when you go in and "import" using the import function. 

Go to Configuration > Machine Managers > click "Register Machine Manager" and add the second (or even the same) vCenter instance.

Not sure how "official" this method is, but it worked for me. Also, there is the risk in "importing" the older packages that they get updated to the current versions of App Volume 4, 2303 as in my case, but so far, I haven't seen any problems. 

0 Kudos
almostIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here's a link that is basically the manual method of what I've described by integrating machine managers. This works if you DO NOT have central, shared storage. 

Copying an AppStack to another App Volumes Manager instance (2107127) (vmware.com)

Again, you cannot import until the old (copied) packages are in the NEW MANAGER datastore location. 

If you can just integrate machine managers and use a centralized storage, it's a lot easier. 

0 Kudos