VMware Horizon Community
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

AppVolumes - ESENT error in application log - Windows 8.1

Hello,

when I'm using AppVolumes I have lots of error like this in my event log:

svchost (1952) Instance: Error -1811 (0xfffff8ed) occurred while opening logfile C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository\edb0000F.log.

svchost (1952) Instance: The database engine (6.03.9600.0000) is starting a new instance (0).

repeated many times. I suspect that it's also slowing my login down. The same errors are not present in the base images w/o app volumes agent installed. Any ideas?

Cristiano

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This is likley related to the Windows Store.

What is this OS? persistent, non-persistent?

Using a Writable Volume?

We can not support application from the Windows Store in an AppStack or a Writable volume and if this is a persistent OS you could see these issues after a log out/in as the Windows store data would be refreshed. Basically, don't use the Windows Store..

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Jason,

os is windows 8.1, no writable volume, non persistent VDI. I did never capture store apps. At least not intentionally. Is there a way to exclude some directories to be processed during capture or during attach?

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I tried now whit just a fresh appstack. No issues with Apps:

svchost (4292) Instance: The database engine attached a database (1, C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository\PackageRepository.edb). (Time=0 seconds)

but I got this one:

WUDFHost (5952) WindowsLocationProviderDatabase: An attempt to create the file "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\LocationProvider\edbtmp.log" failed with system error 80 (0x00000050): "The file exists. ".  The create file operation will fail with error -1022 (0xfffffc02).

How can I check my existing stacks to see what file were captured and it's possible to exclude some directories during volume attach?

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Aha! In Appvolumes 2.10 there is this exclusion in snapvol.cfg that was not present in 2.9

exclude_path=\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository   # Win10

I guess also

exclude_path=\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\LocationProvider\

should be added. Is there a way to exclude paths at runtime, maybe with a registry settings? or do I have to update all my appstacks manually?

0 Kudos