VMware Horizon Community
curttc
Contributor
Contributor

AppVolumes 4 2006 delayed attachment

Has anyone else run into issues in AppVolumes 4 (namely v.2006) with delayed attachment times? Essentially, I've created a package containing multiple applications. I've assigned it to an OU in Active Directory. When logging into a session (non persistent), the log in times are normal, but once then desktop is displayed, it takes roughly 10-15 seconds for the icons to display from the attached Appstack. I have no delay specified under the svservice > parameters registry hive neither.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

that's actually how Appvolumes works. If you dont have a writable it will start attaching the Appstacks (physically to the VDI machine) and once that is done it will then relase the Windows logon process. Normally the appstack will not be fully processed before the Windows login proces is fully executed.

Why do you still have 1 appstack with 15 applications? In 4.0 it is way easier to just have 1 appstack per application. You will then have more applications allready merged and ready to be used so startmenu icons will be there for those applications when logon is ready.

We just create the shortcuts using DEM though, that way you are 100% sure that shortcuts are there when the user logs in. You could block logon until all appstacks are processed but tha logon could take a long time if you have a lot of appstacks or very large appstacks.

curttc
Contributor
Contributor

Apologies for the delayed response. I ended up separating things out as you suggested. Bundling all the applications into one appstack was something I'd never tried before and was really just testing it to see the result. No doubt that what you say is correct though. Thanks for the response!

0 Kudos
skocatt
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @Ray , when you say, "You could block logon until all appstacks are processed but tha logon could take a long time if you have a lot of appstacks or very large appstacks." - How I can achieve that one please?

As since AV4, we have this kind of "issue" as well, so apps, and you can have "just" 5-10 are still loading even after I am already on the desktop, I see visibly how apps are added one by one. Not reffering to our teams who use about 25-30 apps, then its horrible to wait (up to minute) for all apps to be attached and usable.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos