VMware Horizon Community
EChampagne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

AppVolumes 3.0 + User Profile

Hi,

Quick question about User Profile and App Volumes 3.0. Actually, we do have setup our environment with App Volume 2.9 and we have a "Writable Volumes" for all users. Their profile are saved in their own "Writable". I do not see any option in App Volume 3.0 that can enable use profile feature.

Something I missed ?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

No, you did not mis anything and to be honest I don't really fancy the writable volume option they build in now.

In the 2.x version you were able to assign a specific group or user to an Appstack (or writable in this case).

My understanding of the new console is that you create an assignment for a group and add applications (AppStacks) and a writable volume to this set of users. When creating a new assignement you can either set writable volume to Yes or No.

I would really much like to see this to be changed to the old situation. I would like to be able to create a writable per user, not per a total group of users. And also be able to assign a group of people to an applications, not the other way around.

You also first need to have an applications installed onto a specific OS before you can assign a writable to a user. So if I would like to test with a writable volume on W10 and don't have any appstacks yet for W10 I simply can't because i can never select W10 as an operating system.

Maybe I'm just mistaking but it all points towards that.

0 Kudos
EChampagne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

From my understanding in AppVolumes 3.0, the WRITABLE option YES/NO are there if you want to keep the personalization of the application (AppData for instance) ... If you don't have Persona or UEM that redirect your AppData somewhere else ...

This is my understanding .... maybe i'm wrong ?

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

That might just be the case but were do you create your writables then?

I mean, the manual clearly states that you should not connect to the "old" Appvolumes manager to create Appstacks or writables and when I select the Writable is yes option I do see a writable volume being created in the cloudvolumes\writable folder on my datastore.

I do understand that Appvolumes or UEM (or how it may be called in future releases) is going a different route but I still find it somewhat counter intuitive to what it is now.

I would love to hear an official statement on how it should be created\implemented (writables that is) and if our understanding of it is correct.

0 Kudos