VMware Horizon Community
ch4mp10n
Contributor
Contributor

AppVolumes 3.0 Cant create Writable Application Assignment

Hello,

I goto Assign >> New >> I want to create an Application Assignment (Writable) however the OS dropdown box has no values....

Has anyone seen this or have a fix for it?

regards,

Mike.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I had this issue. Check that the prefix of the datastore is ok, it's case sensitive.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey Sappo,

Just a quick question.. Working on getting through the new manager, which I'm not that happy with to be honest, it looks nice but is counterintuitive.

I was working on my VCenter Locations setting and eventually got it working but we had to add one of our datastores as an Appstack Prefix. I would like to use a folder for this on our datastore because we are using multiple tests on 1 storage.

Were you able to add a folder directory on your storage or did you add the storage itself and used the defaultr cloudvolumes folder on this storage? If so, this would mean that we need to create multiple datastores in the VCenter to get this to work.

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Ray,

default path, I have a dedicated datastore, in fact vsan that is also in testing for this new implementation.

There is no obvious way to change te default location, so if you just use vsan, you have a problem as there is just one datastore!

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I Fiddled around a little bit more with it and might have a solution.

If you just go to the Appvolumes manager itself (same server, port 3443, but my guess is you already know that Smiley Happy) you can (as in old version) simply change the datastore and thus the path you can use for Appstacks and Writable volumes.

Haven't tried it yet cause my guess is that the new manager won't like me changing settings in the "old" manager Smiley Happy. I have no idea how settings in the old manager will be refelcted in the new console. I would much rather have the old manager because creating appstacks and writable volumes was much easier there. For testing purposes I guess we will be using the old manager now. Will be testing Appcloaking next..

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Ray,

apptoggle/appcloaking. Couldn't find anything in the documentation. It;s dome via UEM 9?

0 Kudos
Raymond_W
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

AppToggle is a functionality/capability within AppVolumes 3.0 and enables per user entitlement and installation of applications within a single AppStack for maximum flexibility. This helps IT reduce the number of AppStacks that need to be managed, lowers storage capacity and management costs even further, improves performance, and allows applications to share or have different dependencies in a single AppStack. The AppToggle architectural approach of only installing entitled applications also offers greater security as opposed to simply hiding installed applications, which can easily be exploited.

AppToggle Appstacks are not the same as traditional AppStacks and the only supported AppStack type for App Volumes 3.0, the format of the virtual container is different and so is the approach for creation and delivery.Think AppStacks within an AppStack also called "App Bundles”, a Bundle can include a single app, multiple apps, services, drivers, files or folders.

These Appstacks are created with the AppCapture utility on a reference machine, please go to page 35 of the App Volumes 3.0 Admin Guide

AppToggle Appstacks are managed from within the App Volumes 3.0 Management Console

Hope this helps

Kind Regards,

Raymond

Kind regards, Raymond Twitter: @raymond_himself
0 Kudos
eeg3
Commander
Commander

Where in the 3.0 Console is this located? It's definitely not easily visible, if it's there. Selecting just one app in an appstack selects all apps in that appstack, and de-selecting them de-selects all, so it's not an built-in, invisible feature either.

Blog: http://blog.eeg3.net
0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I haven't tested yet with Apptoggle but what I've seen in documentation is that you first need to create Appstacks one by one and after you have created them manually you then need to merge them using the Appcapture tool.

To be honest I'm not yet very happy with how it works. I also wonder how the Appstack sees that there are multiple applications in there. It seems as if the JSON file keeops information of the applicatuion but when I install multiple applications inthere (being the easy ones, Keepass, Hyena and IrfanView) and list the apps i get an error.

Will try and look into it a bit more and post it here.

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can not assign a Writable without an App. the OS dropdown list will be populated based on OS's that have been used to capture.

AppToggle controls the applications that a re captures but can only do so if captured independently. Meaning that if you want to control a single app it must be captured as a single app first and then each separately captured app can then be merged into a single AppStack. Then each capture can be "toggled" on and off. That is the concept anyway. To be clear it is not a granular control of the app itself but of the capture. This is why when you check one app that was in the overall capture all of the apps where checked for you.

0 Kudos