VMware Horizon Community
KaiKilka
Contributor
Contributor

AppVolumes 2.13.3 & Windows 10 1703 Start Menu

Hi all,

i've installed my Environment with AppVolumes 2.13.3 and Windows 10 1703. It is crazy but the Windows 10 Start Menu is not working. 1703 is already supported with AppVolumes 2.13.

I have only AppStacks Attached no Writable Volumes. Also the exlcusion is configured in the AppStack:

exclude_path=\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository

If no AppStack is attached the StartMenu is working fine.

Anyone else with this behaivor and with solution?

Regards

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Have you upgraded App Volumes to 2.13.3? Please confirm the AppStack template version under "C:\SnapVolumesTemp\MountPoints\{appstack_volume_guid}\version.txt"

0 Kudos
fdrietatns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Start Menu is finicky these days.

I've reviewed a bunch of articles and this is what is working for me on 2.13.3 Win10 1709.

Currently having an issue with startmenulayout customization but the menu works

VMware Knowledge Base

VMware Knowledge Base

GTCyberMike

Correct Answerby GTCyberMike on Jul 24, 2017 10:34 AM

TechGuy129 is our hero!!!!!  Thank you for the speedy suggestions!

Unfortunately, re-registering the Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost and Microsoft.Windows.Cortana appX packages did NOT fix the problem for us.  However, adding your exclusion to the snapvol.cfg did.  After your suggestion, we spoke to the VMware tech support rep who worked with VMware engineers originally on this issue (months ago) and he recommended appending exclusions 2 - 4 (below) as well.  Apparently those additional ones (2 - 4) helped to eradicate this same issue months ago but had no positive impact for us now.  It seems that as Microsoft continues to make changes to their OS (e.g. deprecating the TileLayerDatabase) we anticipate needing to append new registry or path locations in the future.

exclude_path=\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository

exclude_registry=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx
exclude_registry=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppReadiness
exclude_registry=\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel

P.S.  To test the above, login to your VM, browse to the following path, append the above, then log-out-log-in - viola!  If this works, then you will need to apply this to everyone's write disks by uploading this change as a zip file into everyone's writable volume to correct this after they all log out/in.

C:\SnapVolumesTemp\MountPoints\.....snapvol.cfg

0 Kudos
KaiKilka
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

i don't use writable Volumes. I only use AppStacks. Because of this the solution for the writable Volume Exclusions are not working for me.

Also the advanced Option "devices.hotplug" is already set to false in my environment.

thanks & regards

0 Kudos
KaiKilka
Contributor
Contributor

Yes i've upgraded to 2.13.3. I've also uploaded the ne Preconfigured AppStack/Writable Templates and updated my AppStack.

In AppVolumes Manager the capture Version is 2.13.3.5. Also the Agent Version is 2.13.3.5.

But the "C:\SnapVolumesTemp\MountPoints\{appstack_volume_guid}\version.txt" says it is: version=2.12.1.39

I think this could be an issue right?

Thanks & Regards

0 Kudos
KaiKilka
Contributor
Contributor

Now I've also created a new AppStack. There the Version is :2.13.3.6 but it is the same behaivor. No Start Menu

0 Kudos
fdrietatns
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is it the same behavior for all 2.13.3 appstacks or just one in particular?

Is your capture machine the same windows version (1703)?

Is there anti virus running on the capture machine? Is the view agent on the capture machine?

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Very strange. Please file a SR with VMware support.

0 Kudos
trojan_82
Contributor
Contributor

Startmenu may be corrupt if you assign an Appstack to your Windows 10 VM that was recently captured on a Win7 packaging VM. This behavior is expected, because the way an application is going to register within the the start menu is different on Windows 10. Not sure if this meets your problem, but maybe helpful for someone else.

0 Kudos