VMware Horizon Community
RandomGuy25335
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

AppVol Provisioning and Windows 10 1809 Install Errors

Hello,

I am experiencing an issue where when attempting to install software while provisioning an appstack, the software will fail to install usually giving errors 110. For example, installing Adobe Reader DC failed with a two part error being the first message, "The system cannot open the device or file specified" and the second half being "Error 2755. Server returned unexpected error 110 attempting to install package C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Setup\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-AC0F074E4100}\AcroRead.msi."

Oracle Java 8u201 comes up with the same except just generic install error 110.

Use cases that I have confirmed:

• Appvolume 2.14/2.15 on 1809 while provisioning, software errors out
  • Appvolume 2.14/2.15 on 1809 while not provisioning, software installs absolutely fine
  • Appvolume 2.14/2.15 on 1803 while provisioning, software installs absolutely fine.

Because of the use case on 1809 failing, I need to provision my software within the 1803 computer for now. However sometimes it causes an issue - for example, SSMS 17.9.2 throws a licensing error if it is not provisioned on the gold image that the VDI pools use. So I wouldn't be able to move those machines over to 1809 that require SSMS.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LukaszDziwisz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Did you install February updates yet? It sounds like you might be hitting a bug with one of the updates. See this thread:

Custom Appstack

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
LukaszDziwisz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Did you install February updates yet? It sounds like you might be hitting a bug with one of the updates. See this thread:

Custom Appstack

0 Kudos
RandomGuy25335
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yup, that would be it. However in my case, it was cumulative update 4487044. After uninstalling that update, provisioning seems to work absolutely fine now.

Thanks for the guidance. That one was frustrating.

0 Kudos
robsisk1972
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just confirmed that Feb updates running on 1803 breaks it too.

0 Kudos
Skocza
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

it looks I am experincing the same on 1709 since upgraded to appvolume env. 2.15. I wasn't experinecing this when was running on entire appvol env. on 2.14.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I believe that all version of Appvolumes have this issue. Doesn't matter which version of Windows you have, if you install the February patch (the one that changes the msi.dll) you will get this error.

0 Kudos
Skocza
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have these updates installed (+ btw. 2.15 appvol env. + win10 1709)

pastedImage_0.png

and still getting an error when installing apps during provisioned appstack. After I remove the provisioned appsatck it is all working back again.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

and still getting an error when installing apps during provisioned appstack. After I remove the provisioned appsatck it is all working back again.

I'm trying to get this straight. The moment you install when appstack is attached it does not work, the moment you remove it, you can install the application again?

And for the record. Looking at the patches you installed the issue is within the cumulative update. That means that if you install the March cumulative update you will most probably see the exact same issue as you would see when installing the February update. I'd suggest looking into which patch you need to uninstall for version 1709 or just remove them all during provisioning.

0 Kudos
Skocza
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks Ray_handels

Correct, sorry for my bad expression, yes, the moment when appstack is attached for capture machine (where appvol agent 2.15 is installed) it does not work (I am getting the error mentioned in topic), the moment I cancel the appstack or remove teh appstack, I can install the app without any issue again.

Let me try to indentify which March update it could be, I thought so as well it could be it since it is cumulatiove update.

When you say pastedImage_0.pnghow do you mean this? Removing them during loading our capture machine or is it there way to have it somehow removed or not loaded when provisioning my capture machine anyhow (the moment you click for provision and on capture machine you see the message from appvol manager)?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You would need to uninstall all patches installed after the January patches to be 100% sure that it will work.

Because your package machine will only be used to install or create the appstack the risk of not having patches installed is somewhat mitigated.

Our users have a writable and installation privileges so we also needed to uninstall the patch on the GI. I was not willing to remove all patches, just the one that caused the issue.

DO NOT remove patches during creation of the appstack.. It will be written into your appstack and you really do not want that. And make sure to disable both the Windows Update Service and Windows Modules Installer during packaging as you might end up with installed windows patches in your appstack.

0 Kudos
Skocza
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ray, thanks for advise, removing of pacthes looks helped with installing apps indeed when priviosned by appstack for the capture machine. I have also added and disabled Windows module installre service for the capture machine, I supposse this also good to have it added into GI? We don't have users with admin priviledges so they are not allowed to install anything on virtual desktop.

Also what I wanted to ask, have you tried to UPDATE any appstack with these kind of settings for appvol 2.15 version? Means simply entire 2.15 appvol + OptimizationLevel=0 reg key applied to fix BSOD after rebot machine during appstacking + these Feb updates not installed and then take some appsatck you have already created before (does not matter which version of agent) and try to click update button in appvol manager, which creates new appstack, then try to provision for any capture machine and see if you can upgrade/change whatever? For me it is even not loaded properly ,as example O365 + required apps, it even does not show in program and features.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Yes i would suggest disabling both Windows Update and Windows Modules Installer in your GI. If you run the OSOT it will also disable both of them.

Microsoft is quite aggressive with it's update process.

Apart from not not having persistent machines these services (mostly the TiWorker process) runs during logon hogging up your CPU and decreasing density on your servers.

Regarding the upgrade. I have created a new appstack with the 2.15 agent without the Windows patches and with the regkey and it worked like a charm. I have not tried to update one although the process is pretty straightforward..

0 Kudos
Skocza
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Ray for all! I do confirm ti works for me as well since I have made new appstack in 2.15 appvol env. + that all fixes applied around (reg key + feb update uninstalled), then I provisioned that appstack again for update/modify and it works perfectly! Only what I am experincing issue is when I want to have updated any appstack created before this all 2.15 version of appvol + those fixes applied, so e.g. appstack created on 2.14 version I could not update on this newly deployed 2.15 + fix applied. But that is ok I can redo appstack on this newly deployed environment.

Reg. GI and services (update and modules installer) disabled, indeed we are using OSOT, but it looks OSOT does not disable thiose services, they are only stopped (manual) as default, so need to ahve alook into OSOT if we are not missing those lines there. Also What I experinced when disable that Windows Modules installer is that after I disable it, updates are disappeared, pelase see my picture attached, showed in ps, red square is when module service is stopped and green is when service is disabled pastedImage_0.png

Is this something wanted or?

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Yes that's true. Microsoft uses the Windows Modules Installer to check which updates are installed. If you are going to update your GI just set it to manual, do the update and set it to disabled afterwards. For the record, updates are not removed if you disable the service.

0 Kudos
rabbah_ammar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

8 July 2019

Using AppVolume 2.17

When trying to install Apps on the Provisioning VM (Win 10), Every installation goes wrong (Can't install any software).

I followed the installation guide so everything is perfect (compatibility with horizon, versions, steps, prerequisites,..........)

every time I tried to install software after entering the provisioning VM to provisioning mode, I got (you don't have permission to this location {C://program files/..........}

I tried to use several versions (2.1x) of AppVolumes but still same issue.

Update: 31 July 2019

I re-deployed the solution again using AppVolumes 2.15 which is compatible with Horizon 7.8.
Also, using Win Server 2012 R2 as an AppVolumes Manager and Win 10 version 1803 as a Provisioning VM which is compatible with AppVolumes 2.15

Unfortunately, I got the same issue ( can't install any software after the provisioning VM be in the provisioning mode).
at the normal state (when The provisioning VM before entering provisioning mode), I can install any software normally.
but once I created the AppStack from AppVolumes Manager and enter the provisioning VM in Provisioning mode, I can't install any software.

0 Kudos
hkraaijeveld
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Interesting. I have a similar situation at a customer which currently has a fresh installation of 2.16, a patched Windows 10 build 1607 LTSR and the same problem.

After looking through all the patches Microsoft has done, there are 2 that strike me as possible candidates. In these a problem was identified with the MSI installer sometimes throwing an error as a known issue:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4487026/windows-10-update-kb4487026

Known issues in this update

After installing this update, users may receive “Error 1309” while installing or uninstalling certain types of MSI and MSP files.

Then the patch after this, the specifically found issue is fixed:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4489882/windows-10-update-kb4489882

Improvements and fixes

Addresses an issue that may cause users to receive “Error 1309” while installing or uninstalling certain types of MSI and MSP files.

So I am very curious as to what Microsoft "fixed" here, as it seems all these problems began at around this patch time.

Problem is, all patches after this are cumulative. Does anyone know if it is possible to avoid installing this particular fix?

There was a call logged with VMware, if any new information arises from this, I will post an update.

0 Kudos
RHofland
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So, I can confirm this issue is resolved in App Volumes 2.17. A quick update of the agent from 2.16 to 2.17 seems to resolve this issue.

0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So, I am having a similar issue with Windows 10 1909 and App Volumes 2.15. 

I created an appstack and am now attempting to install ANY application on it. When I do I receive the error "the system cannot open the device or file specified."

How do I fix this so I can create Appstacks for my Windows 10 Virtual machines?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
mmpt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am having the same issue. I did actually created one AppStack and everything worked fine. I rolled back the provisioning machine before the install. Created another AppStack, provisioned and getting the error " the system cannot open the device or file specified." I tried to uninstall several updates and I even created a new Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 1809 machine and didn't install any updates and it still fails when provisioning but installs fine when not provisioned. I have even put in a ticket to VMware with no response.

0 Kudos