VMware Horizon Community
danielmgrinnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

AppVol 2.12 Office Slow Login

I built an AppStack with Microsoft Office and assigned it to a user and it has dramatically increased my login time. Is there any way to tweak this to be faster or delay the app stack so that login is quick and then the app stack attaches after the user logs in?

thanks 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
danielmgrinnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey All,

Here are my Logs from the Mount.. is this normal or should i be able to speed this up? Just by running a stop watch it can take up to 10-20 seconds to mount, i am using a writeable volume as well.

[2016-12-16 12:44:07 UTC]   P3032R2193  INFO        Cvo: Attached 1 volume(s) for "User <Domain\User>"

[2016-12-16 12:44:07 UTC]   P3032R2193  INFO Completed 200 OK in 4126.3ms (Views: 0.6ms | ActiveRecord: 172.9ms)

0 Kudos
chakrikishen
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

If you want to delay appstack to get attached, You can try Asynchronous Mount option.

Follow the KB to configure. Enable Asynchronous Mounting in App Volumes 2.12 (2147985) | VMware KB

Note - This is a Tech preview feature. Tech Preview features and capabilities are not supported for production deployment, rather they are available as a preview of potential upcoming innovations to test in a lab or UAT environment.
You can provide feedback to improve these features through VMWare Communities

I would like to know few more details on the Office appstack

1. What is the Office version captured in appstack.

2. Any other applications in the appstack.

3. What is your deployment OS version

0 Kudos
danielmgrinnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Interesting, have you setup or know of anyone that has setup this asynchronous mounting option?

I would like to know few more details on the Office appstack

1. What is the Office version captured in appstack. Version 2010

2. Any other applications in the appstack. No other apps in the Office AppStack i seperated them.

3. What is your deployment OS version Win 7

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We did try it out.. For the record, it only works well with logon times if you don't have a writable. The moment you use a writable it will have to wait for the writable to be attached, otherwise your profile in the writable will not be loaded and subsequently will be corrupted.

We did test it without a writable and have seen logon times from clicking on the desktop in the View client until my desktop showed up (with 6 appstacks) in about 18 seconds. Async then attaches the appstacks after login so applications wont be available right away. We are using a mandatory profile for this though.

We are using Office 2010 but it is installed in base. If there is no need to have multiple versions of Outlook (either 2010 or 2016 or 32 or 64 bits) I would always suggest putting it in the golden image. Activation for Office is not that easy to handle (to put it mildly).

0 Kudos